Is Coumadin better than Xarelto for treatment of atrial fibrillation?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband is 67yrs old - was diagnosed with A-fib 4 mos ago during a routine exam. (No symptoms of it) Is taking Xarelto. He just had a TEE last week and a sm clot was found. Should this change the treatment course to another blood thinner? Is coumadin better for this new finding? Is he at greater risk for stroke than before we knew the clot was there?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your queries...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking HCM!

In patients with atrial fibrillation, Xarelto is not inferior to other anticoagulants for the prevention of stroke or systemic embolism. However we have evidence of sm clots so you have to change to another blood thinner.

I think in your husband case Coumadin is the best alternative to xarelto (but you have to monitor I.N.R regularly).

Unfortunately your husband is at a high risk for stroke now. I suggest beginning with low weight heparine (clexan) and Coumadin in order to reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism.

Hope this was of help!
Dr. Benard

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj