Is Australian antigen a contagious infection?
I read your query and I understand your concerns.
Following is my reply:
1) Australian antigen also called HBsAg is a contagious infection and spreads by injections or sexual routes.
2) If your brother in law has developed antibodies ( which can be tested by blood test), no need to worry as transmission chances are less.
3) I hope he has taken vaccination or immunoglobulin treatment after detection in 2005.
4) I believe it is safe as well as best option for your sister and her kid to get immunized by taking vaccine to reduce the chance of transmission at no risk.
5) Please see a physician who will give you one dose of vaccine now and another dose of vaccine ( booster dose ) after 6 months. These vaccines are easily available and affordable.
Let me know if you have anymore questions.
Dr. Mahesh Koregol
2) If your brother in law has developed antibodies ( which can be tested by blood test), no need to worry as transmission chances are less. ----- Can you confirm which blood test must be done to get this checked.
5) Please see a physician who will give you one dose of vaccine now and another dose of vaccine ( booster dose ) after 6 months. These vaccines are easily available and affordable ----- You mean this vaccine needs to be given to my sister and her child. Also please confirm the approximate cost of this vaccine in the market.
The blood test for HbsAg antibody is not done routinely and done in few labs only. Hence will have to be prescribed by a physician who knows your city well. It is better to consult a gastroenterologist than a physician if a gastroenterologist is available in your city who will examine your brother inlaw and check his liver by palpating with hand.
Yes. The vaccine better if given to your sister and her child. It costs about one thousand rupees.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Have l 5 injuries. Had three IVF pregnancies, failed. Is i 5 injury the...
- How fertyl m works for men having very low sperm count?
- Increasing follicle size. Need trigger shot for ovulation?
- Pregnant. Had tender breasts and felt queasy. But, symptoms stopped and...
- Took enema with enema kit. Some amount left. Is there any reason for...
- Period delayed. How to take mtpill and mitoprost?
- Can I ask to be sedated so that I can relax and get through the exam...
- Pain in throat, jumping eye lid, pain in chest, stabbing pain in...
- Ovaries hurt after an orgasm masturbation, stinging sensation. What...
- On adderall. Can it result in nagging dull pain below rib cage?