Irregular period with bad cramps and heavy bleeding. Can I get back to anabolic steroids?

Posted on Wed, 27 Jun 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: My wife for most of her adult life has had an irregular menstrual cycle meaning always longer than 28 days. sometimes 6 - 8 wks and at times longer than that usually the longer it takes the heavier the bleeding and worse cramping. A bout a yr ago she began woriking out more and decided to try a mild dose of anabolic steroids. now her menstual cycle has become very regular and less painful. When she comes off her steroid cycle her menstrual cycle goes wacky again, there are no side effects while she is using. Why is her body reacting this way?
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

A menstrual cycle of 6 to 8 weeks is "normal" for some women. Can you give me the name of the "anabolic steroid" that she is taking? If it is a birth control like tablet (oestrogen/progesterone combination) BC pill then this, when taken in 21 day cycles, will give her artificially produced "periods".

I don't think that your wife should worry too much about her protracted menstrual cycles. Unless of course there is a fertility question that is bothering you both.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 18 hours later
Her cycle varies every time, it is never the same length of time. On occasion almost 3 months between cycles. She is using primobolan and anavar at very mild doses. She says that she also feels better and healthier during these times, also her skin is softer and smoother as well as healthier hair. It was just sounding to me as if these steroids have balanced her hormones. Oh and one more thing that makes me believe hormone imbalance is that when she was in her mid 20's she went through a time when she started going through early menopause.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 39 minutes later
Hi there. Thanks for your for your clarifications.

Both Primobolan (methenolone) and Anavar (oxandrolone) are anabolic steroids popular among bodybuilders and weight lifters. As such, they would be frowned upon by most doctors including this one.

However, if you say they seem to help your wife's oligomenorrhea ( long periods between menstruation) then who am I to argue.

I would conclude though with this:"Hormonal Imbalance" is not a diagnosis. Where it exists it is an effect of some other disease or defect. I believe that your wife needs a proper diagnosis. She should go off all medications for at least two weeks and then have hormonal assays done on her blood or urine. In addition to this she may need an abdominal ultrasound.

Hope my answer has been of some help to you. Please accept this if you have no further questions.

Good luck.

Best Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Andrew Rynne MD