Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Irregular period, hair fall, spotting, PCOD. Solutions and treatments ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
Hi, I am 26yr old female, recently got married.
I have irregular period and hair loss problem. I done all the test which was pertainning for irregular period and every test is negative. I have done PCOD, thyroide, iron deficiency too. Doctor says I am normal. But I get twice periods in month exactly on 1st and 15th of the month and is in spotting, not heavy bleeding. This month XXXXXXX 1st was my period and m waiting for 15th . I am 40 kg and it is as per my hieght ( 4.9 ) . I had irregular period and I was said I had PCOD and then till January my period was fine. Also my hair is thinning with no much hair loss but I see no new hair growth. Its rough at the ends, even when I oil my hair. Do going to beauty parlour and try some remedy help? I got married a month ago and I work in a software firm. I feel like just commiting sucide., not sure if there is any remedy for the same. I see girls age than me having healthy hair which makes me sick. Please suggest /help me out on this

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 47 minutes later

Thanks for posting your problem on XXXXXXX

First I advice you to relax. Your problem isn't something that should provoke you for life threatening decisions. Believe in yourselves and medical options.

Let me tell you at front that PCOD is a very common label for those whose ovaries appear bulky or cystic at some stage during ultrasonography. Don't get scared by it. It doesn't lead to much complications. It's so common, blamed as a reason for infertility in women who have fertility problems, but so many PCOD ladies have normal pregnancies. PCOD has some effects and hormonal associations ( like hair growth on cheeks etc) , it doesn't mean that it should be there in all cases labelled so.

As per Indian standards, your height and weight are normal and very common.

As far as solution to the problem,

1. There are medicines available too for PCOD issues, but often they wont be required.

2. Regarding your periods, the condition is called polymenorrhea which is known to be associated with PCOD can be solved by menstrual regularization or hormonal therapy for PCOD, if it is really required.

3. Hair pattern and structure is to some extent God's gift. Hairs have only cosmetic advantage. Often nutrition affects hairs a lot making them short friable and thin.
Also it may be your individual perception about thin hairs, though one wont be able to differentiate between your serial photos of last few years about hair issues.
A Specialist hair consultant like Dr. Shahed Shamsher in Bangalore will help you understand the situation, but don't fall prey to costly products that need year long therapies. Its better to live natural and be proud of what you are.
Take good care of hairs, improve your nutrition. avoid exposure to raw air to keep hairs in shape, don't exert much.

I will suggest to visit a gynecologist early and also undergo some counseling for depressive thoughts.

Hope my answers have been reassuring and helpful to you. Should you have more concerns, I am available to answer them.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Irregular period, hair fall, spotting, PCOD. Solutions and treatments ? 2 hours later
I have been visiting a gynecologist , she has told me of oral contraceptive which i dont prefer, Is there anything els to regularise my periods?
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 5 hours later

Please don't misunderstand the word contraceptive pills, apart from preventing pregnancy the hormonal contents of the pills are useful for many illnesses, including PCOD.
Please trust the medicines, there is stepwise therapy for such issues and you need to understand it and follow the course as advised. Don't take any medicines on your own. Discuss with your doctor regarding details ad alternatives. Your safety and health is our prime concern.

is there anything else?
-- yes.. but again it may be called as some sort of contraceptive pill. we need to regularize your uterus with a timely training so hormonal issues can be settled with for better healthcare.

feel free to write back.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Irregular period, hair fall, spotting, PCOD. Solutions and treatments ? 41 hours later
Yes, but I dt want to take them. So what happens if I am not treating it? Can I control it by diet , or something like that
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 2 hours later

You dont want to take them, at the cost of quality of life? Why one would not like to have a good quality of life free of depression and hair etc issues?

Try to understand that all PCOD may not need therapy. Obesity and high weight worsens PCOD. So diet control can only help prevent further worsening.

The hormonal pill treatment may be a temporary phase to regularise periods and you may enjoy normal life sooner. Trust your doctor for a healthy future.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor