Suggest treatment for seborrhoeic dermatitis along with androgenetic alopecia

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in General Health
Question: Hello Doc,

I am writing this to my previous interaction with you sometime before.
I contacted you with regards to the problem to my hair, I had bald patches all over my head and later you have given me an answer.
your last answer

"I have reviewed the attached photographs and it seems to be seborrhoeic dermatitis with Androgenetic alopecia. 15 days is too less a time to witness hair growth. Hair regrowth starts after 6-8 weeks of starting medicines.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use ketoconazole salicylic acid combination shampoo like kenz sal lotion twice weekly as a shampoo, apply minoxidil 5 percent lotion on the bald area of the scalp twice daily and take hair supplements like tablet androanagen once daily.
Besides this take tablet levocetrizine 5 mg once daily at bedtime if itching is persisting.
These need to be continued for atleast 2-3 months to see significant results."

However, I tried using the medication and I see some change in hair growth in those bald patches but recently in past 15 days, I had a close hair cut and I observe the bald patches hve reappeared and they actually agrevvated.

So I started using medication as below

Mintop 10% lotion
androanagen tablet daily once
Kenz sal lotion shampoo every week
alpecin caffeine shampo as daily wash

These I have started using from ast 4 days and I attaching pictures of my current hair condition, please suggest if there should be any change in this medication or any other precaution or re examine the scalp and further suggest. There is mild to severe itching persisting sometime in some areas top of my head
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Take tablet finasteride

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the newly attached photographs.
I can appreciate decreased density of hair on the scalp.
It is common to have increased hair loss after starting minoxidil.
It will settle in few days.
You can continue with the medicines prescribed to you.
Besides this I would recommend you to to take tablet finasteride 1 mg once daily with the above mentioned medicines as it will hasten the hair growth.
For itching you can take tablet levocetrizine 5 mg whenever required.
Dr Asmeet

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 12 minutes later
Thanks Doc,

Please let me know how long should I use these? Is androanagen tablet and finasteride 1 mg combinely should be taken? After using minoxidil, the scalp has become extremely dry, so is this abnormal?
so what is the exact problem of mine, Is this scalp ring worm or anything else? I see pink color scaly patches in those bald areas
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
medicines for 5-6 months, finasteride & andranagen can be taken together

Detailed Answer:
You need to use these medicines for atleast 5-6 months.
Yes you can take both androanagen tablets and finasteride tablets together.
It is normal for scalp to become dry after using minoxidil.
You are having androgenetic alopecia which is a male pattern baldness due to hormonal changes along with seborrhoeic dermatitis which is basically related to fungal and immune changes.
It is not ringworm infection.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 17 minutes later
Thanks doc,

I will follow up with my state after a month
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Welcome!!
All the best!!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj