Does Finasteride have sexual side effects when used to treat hair loss?
I am suffering hair fall & severe head loss at middle of head.
I consulted skin specialist who prescribed minoxidil solution 2% ;finaster idea 1 mg.
But due to mild elevation in SGPT he told to apply minoxidil.
I am trying for next baby; is finasteride is safe.some photo is attached.
Finasteride is safe
Hello. Thank you for writing to me.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist).
I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images. You seem to have androgenetic alopecia.
Finasteride is an absolutely safe and approved medication for androgenetic alopecia in males.
There is no negative effect on spermatogenesis or erectile function in males and no risk to the female partner or for the developing baby. Therefore you may continue finasteride.
Thanks for following queries may be answered
1) Finasteride 1 mg & minoxidil 2% is sufficient or more medicine is required.
2) Duration of treatment.
3) Minoxidil 5% may be used instead of 2%.
4) I do not want to take oral medicine; would minoxidil be sufficient.
5) ketoconazole shampoo is also prescribed.
Regarding androgenetic alopecia
Only topical minoxidil and oral finasteride are approved medications for androgenetic alopecia in males. The goal of treatment is to arrest further progression of hair loss and to maintain improvement. Minoxidil 5% solution rather than minoxidil 2% solution is recommended for male androgenetic alopecia. The later is for females. Duration of treatment is long term, preferably life long. Ketoconazole shampoo has additional antiandrogen action locally and is advisable along with minoxidil and finasteride.
Following queries may be answered
1. Since my sgpt; shot is elevated due to fatty liver; can I continue finax- 1mg.Will it harm to liver.
2. Folihair was prescribed .should I continue along with fine.
3. Should I remove complete hair with help of hair cutter for removal of dandruff & fresh hair will come.
4. Diet prescribed for hair supplement.
5. Minoxidil causes irritation & itching in hair.is it's side effect.
6.Will finex reduce sperm count & reduces libido ??
7Any other hygiene/suggestions that should be implemented.
Regarding use of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia
Finasteride is safe. It has no side effects on liver. Therefore you may continue using despite fatty liver.
Folihair had no specific role in androgenetic alopecia. Though you may continue.
Shaving has no role in stimulating hair regrowth.
Hair is all protein. Therefore you may include adequate amounts of protein in your diet.
Minoxidil can cause irritation and dryness of scalp because it has an alcohol base. You may use a preparation with less percentage of alcohol e.g MinoQilib 5% solution, 1% twice daily or MNX 5%solution.
Finasteride has no negative effect on spermatogenesis though it may have a transient negative effect on libido but this is reversible.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Amitiza side effects hair loss
- Marvelon side effects hair loss
- Aldactone side effects hair loss
- Carboplatin side effects hair loss
- Thyronorm side effects hair loss
- Typhoid side effects hair loss
- Is hair loss herbalife side effect
- Actonel side effects hair loss
- Tetralysal "hair loss" side effect
- Hair loss allergy in hair on finasteride minokem side effects