Does Finasteride have sexual side effects when used to treat hair loss?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in General Health
Question: Sir
I am suffering hair fall & severe head loss at middle of head.
I consulted skin specialist who prescribed minoxidil solution 2% ;finaster idea 1 mg.
But due to mild elevation in SGPT he told to apply minoxidil.
I am trying for next baby; is finasteride is safe.some photo is attached.
Please reply.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Finasteride is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to me.
I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist).

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the images. You seem to have androgenetic alopecia.
Finasteride is an absolutely safe and approved medication for androgenetic alopecia in males.

There is no negative effect on spermatogenesis or erectile function in males and no risk to the female partner or for the developing baby. Therefore you may continue finasteride.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Sir
Thanks for following queries may be answered
1) Finasteride 1 mg & minoxidil 2% is sufficient or more medicine is required.
2) Duration of treatment.
3) Minoxidil 5% may be used instead of 2%.
4) I do not want to take oral medicine; would minoxidil be sufficient.
5) ketoconazole shampoo is also prescribed.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding androgenetic alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Only topical minoxidil and oral finasteride are approved medications for androgenetic alopecia in males. The goal of treatment is to arrest further progression of hair loss and to maintain improvement. Minoxidil 5% solution rather than minoxidil 2% solution is recommended for male androgenetic alopecia. The later is for females. Duration of treatment is long term, preferably life long. Ketoconazole shampoo has additional antiandrogen action locally and is advisable along with minoxidil and finasteride.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Sir
Following queries may be answered
1. Since my sgpt; shot is elevated due to fatty liver; can I continue finax- 1mg.Will it harm to liver.
2. Folihair was prescribed .should I continue along with fine.
3. Should I remove complete hair with help of hair cutter for removal of dandruff & fresh hair will come.
4. Diet prescribed for hair supplement.
5. Minoxidil causes irritation & itching in hair.is it's side effect.
6.Will finex reduce sperm count & reduces libido ??
7Any other hygiene/suggestions that should be implemented.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding use of finasteride in androgenetic alopecia

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Finasteride is safe. It has no side effects on liver. Therefore you may continue using despite fatty liver.
Folihair had no specific role in androgenetic alopecia. Though you may continue.
Shaving has no role in stimulating hair regrowth.
Hair is all protein. Therefore you may include adequate amounts of protein in your diet.
Minoxidil can cause irritation and dryness of scalp because it has an alcohol base. You may use a preparation with less percentage of alcohol e.g MinoQilib 5% solution, 1% twice daily or MNX 5%solution.
Finasteride has no negative effect on spermatogenesis though it may have a transient negative effect on libido but this is reversible.