Inguinal hernia removed. Felt small lump on testicles. Chances of cancer?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Cancer
Question: I recently felt a small lump on my testicles. I am not having any pains or anything but can this be cancer? I had Inguinal Hernia which was removed in 2000. The lump feels like a smooth round but hard and is very small.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description does not sound like a cancer. A small swelling in that area, indicates possibilities like epididymis, small cyst, or some cancerous conditions.

But, most commonly we found this as the epididymis. This is a part of testis. It is a normal anatomical structure. It is firm to hard , small and present for life. Your description sounds more like an epididymis.

If it was a cancerous condition, the lump should be large, irregular, hard, fixed to the underlying structure. Most importantly you should find a cancerous lesion as a lump which is progressively increasing in size.

But, without any clinical examination, it is impractical to comment. You need a thorough clinical examination for the size, shape, position, relation with other structure, mobility, consistency, translucency, and many more.

So, first consult with a general surgeon for clinical examination. If any suspicion arises from the clinical examination, you need an ultrasound scan first. An ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) should also be considered.

Lastly, though the description sounds more like an epididymis, you should visit a general surgeon to rule out any other possibilities.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 40 hours later
I am not able to feel any hard lump on my left testicles. Whereas I am able to feel a small lump on my right testicles on the bottom of testicle. If it is epididymis shouldnt I feel the same on lump like thing on my left testicles. I researched on "Epididymitis" , however I dont fell any pain on my testicles in general. Even when i feel the lump it is not paining
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 44 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

It is epididymis. Not 'epididymitis'. Epididymitis is inflammation of epididymis. Epididymis is a normal anatomical structure.

Look, sometimes, epididymis of one side may be felt easily than the other side. But, i have already told you that it is just the possibility.

You have told that you do not feel any pain, it indicates its benign nature. But you should be examined clinically as I have told. Because, if it is not epididymis, then depending on the clinical findings, decision should be made for surgical removal.

So, in my opinion, you should visit a general surgeon just to get confirmed. If any suspicion arises from the clinical examination, an ultrasound scan should be considered first.

After that, the line of management should be determined depending upon the findings.

Regards.