Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Identical twin sister suffer mild leak in the mitral valve. Generic? Should I be concerned?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1981
Answered : 922 Questions
This is for Dr. Prabhaker Koregol, I wrote to you around 2 weeks ago and I wanted to update yuu on my visit to my primary doctor who is an internist. I had all my bloodwork sent to him which was superb. My total choesterol was 187, HDL 72, LDL 102, Triglyserides 64 and the ratio is 2.6, everything elsse was very good. I had an EKG done in his office and he said it is excellent. I am 72 years old and I do take care of myself health wise, and I eat a healthy diet & exercise 30 min a day. He told me too take 1,000 of vitamin D. I forgot to ask him, if it is necessary for me to have an echocardiogram, because my identical twin sister had it taken, which her doctor wanted her to take, because he heard a slight murmur. The Echo showed a mild leak in the mitral valve, and its nothing to worry about. Is it generic? Do you think I should ask him about if it is necessary for me to get one.


PS Doctor, I rated you excellent.
Posted Sat, 15 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 17 days later
welcome to healthcare magic, I am a certified and registered cardiologist,
I read your mail with diligence.
As your blood work and ECG were within normal limits and you does not have any symptoms you need not worry.
Coming to the Echo which is a non invasive test like ultrasound, it evaluates the heart pumping function , valvular heart disease and so many things.
As you are 72 years you need atleast once echo should be done to know the heart pumping function.
Mitral valve leakage in your age group mostly not because of genetic problem, it may be due to degenerative( age related) changes in mitral valve.
Mean while you continue your healthy life style and get echo done.
If you have any further query let me know.
thank you .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor