How to cure slow gut motility and constipation caused by low thyroid?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: have slow gut motility and constipation cause of low thyroid not treated for many many years just being put on thyroxine wil the stomach repair or is it to late,
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: there is not usually any long term damage Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Low levels of thyroid hormone slows the peristaltic contractions (contracting movements) of the gastrointestinal tract, causing constipation. The low levels of the hormone does not cause any permanent damage but while it is below normal affects this movement. Once your thyroid hormone levels are within range with the replacement therapy, you symptoms, including constipation, would improve. There is not usually any long term damage. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
thanks for your answer i had being told that if thyroid left untreated for quite a number of years left untreated the nerves become damaged going onto thyroxine now will not repair those stomach nerves is that correct sorry to ask you that need to know that cause ive lost so much weight cause of it all
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Improvement occurs in most persons Detailed Answer: Hi Normally hypothyroidisms is associated with weight gain not loss because it slows down the body's metabolism. Untreated or inadequately treated hypothyroidism is actually one of the reasons for difficulty in losing weight. The reasons that the hypothyroidism causes constipation is related to slowing of the peristaltic movement. This slow movement occurs because of : (1)alterations at the receptors (where the hormone attaches) for the hormones in the gut, (2)neuromuscular issues (the nerves and muscle function are affected by the hormone and (3) infiltration of the gut As mentioned in most persons there is usually no long term damage and symptoms usually improve, they may not go up to 100% but they should improve. If the use of normal replacement does not help, your doctors may consider adding T3 replacement as well. The other lifestyle measures that are used for constipation can also be used though you would have to be careful using high fiber at the Please feel free to ask any thing else