How long does recovery take from dengue fever?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: 1. What level platelets count go down?
2.Is'it necessary to inject blood/platelets if they are in extreme situation (between 40k - 60k)
3. How much time it will take to recover platelets.
4. What should be the min WBC count for day 5.
5. What are the steps need to follow on Rashes/nose bleeding.
6. How many days it will take to recover from Dengue.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Recovery from dengue is individualised.

Detailed Answer:

From what I understand your child is suffering with dengue or dengue like infection. Before I answer all the questions, I would first like to inform you that these type of infections do not follow same / similar pattern. The changes found during the course of infection and recovery are individualised. They vary from one patient to another. Hence most answers to your questions do not have a clear cut defined value.

In general, the answers to your questions are:

1. At what level platelets count go down?
- There is no fixed time duration after which platelets drop. However in most patient the drop is noticed after 3-5 days.

2. Is it necessary to transfuse blood and platelets?
- The need for blood and platelet transfusion is more based on clinical circumstances than blood counts. But the need for transfusion is higher with platelet count below 20000 cells / cumm

3. How much time to recover platelets?
- Platelets begin to rise in a sustained manner during recovery phase. The recovery phase generally starts after 7-10 days in most patients.

4. Min WBC count for day 5.
- There is no specific count on day 5.

5. Steps need to follow on rashes and nose bleeding.
- Keep the rashes clean and dry. And do not frequently clean nose when it bleeds. You should seek medical attention if bleed is persistent.

6. How many days to recover from Dengue?
- Recovery period as I mentioned earlier is not standard. It's varies.. And as I said, the recovery period in most patients is after 7-10 days.

Hope all your questions are answered.

regards

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll try to share the report with you here for any further queries.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 30 hours later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

you are most welcome, kindly upload the reports so that i can help you out.