How long does Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole take to see results in treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hello Doctor,
I am writing you again that i have been on Trimethoprim-Sulphamethoxazole(160-800 mg) twice daily since one week. Please guide me When can i except to start getting results? . Also please guide me Isn't --Trimethoprim-Sulphamethoxazole(160-800 mg) is very high dose.
Cipro was only 250mg twice daily. But pharmacist told me to take Trimethoprim-Sulphamethoxazole(160-800 mg) twice a day.
Wouldn't 800mg too high?. Can such high dose damage my liver or kidney.>>
Tue, 15 May 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a standard adult dose that you ave been suggested

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

The dose of Trimethoprim -Sulphamethoxazole (160-800)mg is a standard adult dose .and will not damage your liver or Kidney .It will take two weeks to see the results

Dose of Cipro for adult is 500 mg twice daily .

Do not listen to pharmacist .They always confuse the patients .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: How long does Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole take to see results in treatment? 13 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. Could you please guide me in following .

1. I have GERD since one year and i am on omeprazole 20mg daily morning. Will it make antibiotics less effective.
2. Can i take curd and milk in my food while taking these medicines.

3. When medicince says Trimethoprim-Sulphamethoxazole(160-800 mg), In common man language is it 160 mg dose or 800 mg dose. I am confuse by label of this medicine. Why they say it 800 mg+160. Is it total 960mg dose each twice a day i am taking. That makes me concern.

Thanks

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read details below

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .
1) You can continue taking Omeprazole twice daily along with this medicine .It will not affect the action of the same

2) You can take curd and milk .It will help to reduce drug induced Gastritis .

3) It is combination of two drugs. The 160-800 mentioned in drug is 160 mg of Trimethoprim and 800 mg of Sulphamethoxazole .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: How long does Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole take to see results in treatment? 44 hours later
Thank you Doctor.
It is written over prescription warning that this drug will be eliminated by kidney and can cause renal failure in some cases
. Although i am continuing with the drug as u suggested, Is there any risk for kidney problem when some one take this medicine. What are the precentage of kidney issues while on this drug?
Did you see patients developing such kidney problems while on antibiotics in your practise .? Please advice.

Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are statutary warning for each and every drug .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

These are statuary warning given for each and every drug as there is warning given on a packet of Cigarette every body does not develop cancer after smoking .
The same principle is applied here incidence of damage to kidney happens one in million of patents and that too when the drug is being taken for long duration for 6-8 months .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: How long does Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole take to see results in treatment? 14 hours later
Thank you Doctor, it was worried as it was written :: FDA Black box warning for this Drug like kidney damage, severe diarrhea can happen etc. But i will continue that.

Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
O.K.Continue medicine as suggested

Detailed Answer:
Helllo
Thanks for follow up .

Continue taking medications as suggested ,
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil