How is hepatitis contracted?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hi.
I have a "Hepatitis" question and I'm so stressed about this.

I used a public toilet today. And i washed my anus with half a bottle of water. (Yes, I used drinking water.) But i washed my anus deeper and i used my finger for deeper cleaning of my anus. (My finger entered my anus XXXXXXX 2-3 centimeters for several seconds.).
But i remembered a thing after 2-3 hours: I touched toliet's doorknob with same hand (and finger) before cleaning my anus.
And I remembered another thing:
7-8 months ago, I've seen several little dropson toilet paper. Doctor says to me "Probably you have a small rectum fissure (or anal, i'm not sure)." But i haven't seen a drop of blood in 3-4 months on toilet papers.
it means a open wound?
May be i didn't notice bleeding?
Questions, questions.... I gonna mad, My brain will be blow up,
Am I infected with Hepatits? (A,B or C)
is there any chance?
is there any risk?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No chance of infection of any type of Hepatitis

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for possibility of hepatitis A, B or C after the usage of toilet and touching its handle.

I can make out that you are quite stressed regarding infective potential of the handle and have a thing in your mind that the handle might be the source of any hepatitis virus.

Let me first reassure you that there is no chance of infection of any type of Hepatitis by your way of exposure. Let me give medical and scientific reasons for the same:

- Any of infection requires minimum amount of infective agent or viruses to spread the infection. This minimum amount of virus is known as Infective dose 50 or ID 50. On any of the thing of public use such as toilet accessories or anything of public use this amount of virus is not achieved so no chance of infection.

Even if an infected person of high potential touches the area with the body fluids then also the chances are nil because of the above fact. These body fluids gets immediately dried up and the minimal amount of virus also becomes dead after this.

So if you are touching any of the thing of public use then there is no chance of getting any of these infections.

If that thing would had been possible then more than half of this world would have had been infected with hepatitis of one or the other type...which is actually not!!!

So just rest assured about any possibility and do not worry.

I hope these information will help you.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD -Dermatology and Sexually transmitted diseases
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 minutes later
Thank you, I'm starting to relax.
I have another questions about this,

Firstly, My anus cleaining style (With my fingers) cannot be a reason, am I wrong?
even in the worst conditions, 2-3 centimeters of my finger... it's enough for transmitting?

And some sources says on internet: Hepatitis B can transmit form environment, desks, toilets... They are doctors.. How can it be?

And Hepatitis A,B or C... How long can hepatitis survive (outside the body or dry surface or in blood/semen)?

Please excuse me, I'm so confused. I want to ask my all questions for relaxing..

And for my story,

Touching a door (may be Hepatitis),
and fingering anus, entering 2-3 centimers (Not for sex, just cleaning :) )
(May be i have anal or rectum fissues)
And I shouldn't be worried about these?

i guess i have anxiety :)
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Just relax and do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello young fellow,

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your further follow up and queries.

Let me again first reassure you that you do not have any chance of Hepatitis.

To guide you further:

There is no abnormality in the washing style. There are no chances by your style of washing the anal area. It is totally fine.

Now for the articles regarding spread of hepatitis by toilets, tables and environment: you know young fellow, this internet is full of millions of different information on a single thing. So if you have read articles regarding the spread then have you checked with authenticity of the same.

We doctors have this authentication by our indexed journal system. These are authenticated by a team of experts and the articles pass through a channel of process after which are published and available for reading on the journal site. The most often used indexing authority is “Pubmed”. So just check whether you have read on pubmed sites or any other. If you have read on pubmed then kindly forward the link so that I can guide you further or if read on any other site then just relax because everyone has the right to write down one or the other thing.

In my personal and academic experience too I have not read or observed anything like your type of exposure in last more than 14 years of clinical practice.
The virus becomes dead as soon as the fluid is dried up so even if a handle is wet then it requires either XXXXXXX body fluid or blood or serum with adequate amount of viruses to spread infection form one person to other. Have you seen any blood stains on the handle or anywhere on toilet seat.

So just relax and do not worry.

I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to answer any furhter queries.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Thank you doc. My mind is almost clear now. I'm grateful to you.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best wishes for good health

Detailed Answer:
Hello young buddy,

So sweet of you for all the admiration. I am with you today and always for helping out in any of your health issues.

My all best wishes for good health of you and and your family.

If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj