Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

How is ear infection treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2534 Questions
My 11 month old has been sick for six weeks with 3 ear infections, a viral infection and strep throat. She has been on antibiotics 3 times and still has low grade temp and is pulling at ears. She is teething as well..not sure what to do from here??
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Dear Ashgriggs,

Thank you for your query.

1. If she has not received any antibiotics, get a course prescribed by a physician.

2. There is no substitute for a direct ear examination using an otoscope and a direct throat examination. Get her ears and throat examined by a local ENT Specialist, who may then prescribe medication including ear drops. I assume that her ear discharge was not foul smelling. There may be ear wax or an infection. This may act as a septic focus leading to the low grade fever.

3. Ear infection is common in infants because the Eustachian Tube that connects the nose to the ear is shorter, wider and more horizontal than in an adult. Hence nasal infections, milk and nasal secretions reach and infect the ear easily. Raise his head while feeding.

4. If her recurrent infections continue, get a routine blood test and throat swab for culture and sensitivity done to rule out a depressed immune system.

5. Teething is known to cause the most bizzarre symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor