question-icon

What causes bleeding from the nose?

Posted on 1 day ago
Question: Hi there, I have had what I thought was a head cold with nasal issues, the last few weeks. However, I'm not sure it's a cold no, but rather a nasal infection, as when I blow my nose, there's blood. The substance inside my nose gets hard, then I blow my nose, usual discharge but also blood. It feels like it's the blood that's drying up in my nose and hardening, giving me the blocked up sensation. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Bleeding comes most probably from mucosa damage.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

It seems like you may be having a sinus infection. You may need an x-ray to confirm that. Also you may need to see a local doctor who will prescribe you antibiotics.

The blood coming from the nose may be due to the damage of the mucosa because of the constant swelling and irritation from the secretions. Do not blow the nose with force and also try to apply some Vaseline with a cotton tip on the inside of the nose. It will heal soon eventually when the secretions will stop.
If the bleeding continues after the secretions have stopped then it is worth considering a visit to an ENT doctor who can examine the internal part of the nose and see if anything else other then what I explained above is going on.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako