• question-icon

How contagious is mononucleosis?

Posted on Mon, 13 Oct 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 2 yr old great granddaughter has just been diagnosed with mono at the hospital ER. Her tonsils are covered in pus pockets and she coughs to the extreme that she has vomited a couple of times. How contagious might she be to a one year old, a four year old, her 27 year old mother, her 52 yr old granddad , her 49 yr old grandmother and her 75 year old great grandmother. the 4 yr old goes to kindergarten.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depending on the pathogens.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic. I am Dr. Ganesh

There are possibilities in contagious infection - it will depending on the viral is contagious if the person has not previously infected with the similar virus.
But sine you will not be able to know the possible causes - especially elderly aged people should maintain some distance - as their immunity status can be very less and easily catch any infections.

If the cause of the tonsillitis is bacterial, it is also contagious. For example, streptococcus throat is highly contagious.

If the tonsillitis and enlarged adenoids are chronic / caused by a chronic condition, such as sinusitis or allergic rhinitis, it is not likely contagious.

So until baby is kept on some antibiotics mother can give her maximum care, as in mother age organism antibodies can fight against infections.
Or Immunity based medications are available on counter - can be taken if require follow the instructions as mentioned on the medication.

Wish your baby good health.
Hope i have answered your query.
Any thing to ask do not hesitate. Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ganesh