• question-icon

How can tendonitis be cured?

Posted on Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am suffering by tendonitis in my left shoulder from last 10 month . and during this period I had consult with different orthopedic surgeon and get there treatment but no satisfactory result found . I really upset by this diesis . Now I always fill pain in my shoulder . Thanks and regards. Kingshuk Hazra
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 31 minutes later

After going through the description provided by you, I feel that you might be suffering with Tendonitis and Tenosynovitis which are both types of tendon injury. They can often occur together.

Tendonitis means inflammation of a tendon and tenosynovitis means inflammation of the sheath that surrounds a tendon. The main symptoms are pain, tenderness and sometimes swelling of the affected part of the tendon.

In addition to x-ray, the investigation of choice for soft tissue injuries of such sort is MRI scan which tells us the degree of damage or any degeneration of the tendon.

Here are some general treatment measures which you can follow:
1) Provide complete rest and avoid overhead activities.

2) Apply cold compresses and take some anti inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

3) You may use a splint or a removable brace to help keep the tendons still.

If the symptoms are severe then after confirming the diagnosis by MRI, you may need steroid injections or surgical release of tendons(kept as last resort). Before that, shockwave therapy that allows the shockwaves to be passed through your skin to the affected area can be tried but it should be done under local anesthesia as it is painful.

Also you are having mildly elevated levels of uric acid (normal range: between 3.0 - 7.0 mg/dL (milligram per deciliter). Get it rechecked after some time and if the are persistently increasing then the possibility of gout, thyroid and parathyroid disease have to be ruled out.

To reduce the uric acid levels, decrease intake of eggs and poultry, meat, shellfish, alcohol (if any) and liver, kidney, heart. Also exercise regularly and eat more of fruits and vegetables.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Is it curable or not ? Now when I move my hand then some noise also comes from shoulder. As I am working as a customer support engineer so it is impossible to take a complete rest . so please tell me , how can I get relief from this position

Kingshuk Hazra
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello Kingshuk,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes this condition is curable and the various treatment methods, I have described earlier.

Apply cold compresses by wrapping some ice in a towel and applying on the area and avoid doing any overhead activity like raising your arms above your head. This is to be done till complete healing occurs. You can also take some muscle relaxants. Local application of muscle relaxant gel may also be useful.

If the symptoms persist then wear braces and get steroid shots. Also follow the dietary restrictions which I have mentioned above so that your uric acid levels do not rise any further. Get a repeat uric acid level done after 1 month.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow up: Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
Don't mined , I understand each part of your sugg. and thankful for the same. Please just suggest me sume anti inflammatory pain killers because I have drug allergy on these drugs 1. paracitamal 2. sulfur 3. gatiflocsacin 4. nimosolid group.and for the same please suggest the perticular drug.
thanks and regards.

Kingshuk Hazra
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If you are allergic to Paracetamol or Nimusulide, then you can get prescribed 'Ibuprofen' or 'Tramadol' (which is a centrally acting opioid analgesic). They can be used in treating moderate to severe pain.

Please get them prescribed by a qualified doctor, because any untoward reaction can be managed medically then.

Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Jasvinder Singh