Are redness and swelling on the hand after cat bite signs of SLE?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 23 May 2018 in Infections
Question: Should I be worried about a serious and deep cat bite that occurred yesterday. I cleaned it with peroxide but I woke at 4 am in serious pain from my finger and noticed I now have redness and swelling from my hand to the inside of my elbow. I have SLE and am already on antibiotics.??

.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
intravenous antibiotics may be required

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Cat bites may be very unpleasant, especially if infection occur. Infection may manifest as cellulitis abscess, tendinitis or lymohangiits. It seems like you have lymphangitis which is infection of lymph nodes. So if this is so severe, per os antibiotics may no be sufficient and intravenous antibiotics may be necessary. ALos, arm immobilization, icing and nonsteroid painkillers may be beneficial.
WIsh you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad