What causes intermittent upper abdominal pain along with shortness of breath?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
Hello this is for sr Sharka as I continue to work on my issues I have a question I was out today and fine then all of a sudden I had a sharp pain under left rib that went to the middle stir I’m ans opening of my stomach there was nit shortness of breath no chest pain just me panic ... it comes and goes I am thinking that it is either costo or gas or integestion I had rice and chicken for lunch plain I just rated to know if I should be worried about cardiac your response would be appreciated
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms are not cardiac related!

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Welcome back on HCM!

I understand your concern and would agree with you on the fact that your symptoms could be related to your stomach (stomach distension or esophageal spasms).

A musculo-skeletal pain can not be excluded either, considering these cold days and the fact that the pain was sharp and brief.

As a cardiologist, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not related to any cardiac disorders.

Of course, anxiety could play an important role in all this clinical scenario, as you find yourself unprepared to a sharp chest pain, asking yourself about its possible origin or nature.

But, you have nothing to worry about!

I remain at your disposal, whenever you have any other questions!

Wishing a nice weekend,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What causes intermittent upper abdominal pain along with shortness of breath? 29 minutes later
Hello
Thank you for responding yes the pain catches me off guard but I have to wonder if I should be seeing a stomach specialist as well the pain can be costo and yes it always throws me when I get pain like that and anxiety comes as well. I just wanted to make sure that it was nit cardiac related since I did all those test in the summer which I believe I have up loaded as well I also had traps in done in sept I believe and all was well so just to make sure you don’t think I need further testing

Brief Answer:
I woudl recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

There is no need to perform any additional cardiac tests, as your symptoms don't seem to be related to any cardiac disorders.

Regarding the stomach, I would recommend trying an anti-acid during those days with such chest pain.

If an anti-acid improves your situation, the next step to follow would be performing a fibro-gastroscopy.

But, if an antiacid or PPI (omeprazole, etc.), does not cause any change in the pain intensity of frequency, you should consider a musculo-skeletal pain (including inflammation or chosto-chondritis) as the main cause of your complaints.

Hope to have clarified some of your uncertainties!

Let me know about everything!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What causes intermittent upper abdominal pain along with shortness of breath? 2 hours later
I also feel at times that air is being pushed up from my chest or stomach and I am guessing this also has something to do with my esohogus reflux and not with xmcardiac and lungs

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again dear,

Yes, you are right that it could be gastro-esophageal reflux.

But, as I mentioned above, trying an anti-acid or PPI would help differentiate between a stomach disorder (including reflux) and a musculo-skeletal disorder.

Regarding your lungs, as long as you do not have any other symptoms like shortness of breath, cough, etc., it is less likely that your symptoms are related to any lung disorder.

Anyway, if you experience such symptoms, a chest X ray study and pulmonary function tests would help exclude any possible implications of your lungs in all this clinical scenario.

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What causes intermittent upper abdominal pain along with shortness of breath? 1 hour later
Great thanks one more thing I get pain that comes and goes in left upper arm if I push on some of it it hurts no other symptoms no shortness of breath no chest pain outer part hurts to touch and inner part aches at times I have been told I have tendinitis in this shoulder and arm also I tend to sleep with my arms behind or above my head which I am thinking is more the issue but again wanting ur input as a cardiologist if this is concerning for cardiac

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

These symptoms do not seem to be related to the heart.

The local pain in the arm, which is modified by a certain position of the arm, is typical of a musculo-skeletal issue (including bursitis or tendinitis) or a pinched nerve.

Chronic degeneration in the cervical vertebral column, or a bulging disc in this levels, can cause irradiating nerve pain in this region too.

For this reason, I would recommend performing some tests:

- a shoulder X ray study
- a cervical spine X ray study
- PCR, sedimentation rate for inflammation
- a nerve conduction study to examine the nerves in the arm.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Let me know about everything!

Wishing a pleasant weekend,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What causes intermittent upper abdominal pain along with shortness of breath? 15 minutes later
Thank you again as a cardiologist I wanted to confirm since it is left arm pain this gives me a bit of anxiety and if I should be getting tested for cardiac issues also if not is cold or hot conprass good
Thank u again

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
My opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

As a cardiologist, I would not recommend performing any additional cardiac tests, because I am sure that they will result normal.

So, you have nothing to worry about!

Warm packs can help improve your situation.

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: What causes intermittent upper abdominal pain along with shortness of breath? 2 days later
Good morning thank you for your response I have called to book an appt with my gp to discuss these issues as I also have upper and mid back pain which I have had before as I have been told that you can have costo or musical pain in the back so that being said I wanted to make sure that the back pain wasn't related to cardiac and that all theses pains back arm and sturnum and upper chest are not cardiac or if there are other tests I should perform thanks

Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

I am glad to have been helpful to you!

I agree with you on the fact that exploring for other possible causes is necessary.

Upper and mid back pain could be related to chronic degeneration of the vertebral column in this region.

The above mentioned tests (X rays, inflammation tests and nerve conduction study) will help investigate for those issues.

As, I already explained there is no need to perform any cardiac tests, I am sure that your symptoms are not cardiac related.

I remain at your disposal, whenever you will have any other uncertainties!

Wishing all the best,

Dr. Iliri