How can painful curling up of the fingers be treated in an elderly patient?
She need potent analgesics or nerve blocks
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your wife had gone through.
Based on the history you have shared, surgical options are indeed rare with her comorbodities but a second opinion by an orthopedician can be sought with a fresh X-ray or MRI or the aftected forearm to substantiate the extent of the damage as in some cases it's self limiting and may even settle down in a matter of weeks spontaneously without surgical options with or without any deformity.
With the current symptoms, supportive management is the best approach with potent analgesics. OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can he useful but will not be sufficient. She would need more potent analgesia like with tramadol, or nerve pain suppressants like carbamezapine or gabapentin etc.
A pain medicine specialist can be appoached for other long lasting options like nerve blocks etc which can suppress the sensations from the affected nerve ends only sparring the others and can be best with her condition.
Wishing her a better recovery. Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Popping noise in hand pain when curling finger any suggestions
- How to treat infection finger
- How to treat trigger finger
- What causes fingers curl into palm
- How are numbness in fingers and feet treated
- How is numbness in the fingers treated
- Hand cramping fingers curling
- Treating curling iron burns
- How to treat fractured finger
- How to treat chronic anaemia in elderly
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?