Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

How can painful curling up of the fingers be treated in an elderly patient?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 1372 Questions
My wife, age 83, has developed a situation where her dominant hand (left) the index and ring fingers have curled into the palm and those knuckles are swollen . This is very painful with the pain radiating up the arm to the elbow. she has no recollection of an injury but has spinal stenosis following a fracture to the lower back which also causes pain (the kyphoplasty (sp?) failed and collapsed. she also developed anxiety and depression and has a history if arthritis and possibly PMR but is off steroids.
Tue, 15 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
She need potent analgesics or nerve blocks

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your wife had gone through.

Based on the history you have shared, surgical options are indeed rare with her comorbodities but a second opinion by an orthopedician can be sought with a fresh X-ray or MRI or the aftected forearm to substantiate the extent of the damage as in some cases it's self limiting and may even settle down in a matter of weeks spontaneously without surgical options with or without any deformity.

With the current symptoms, supportive management is the best approach with potent analgesics. OTC analgesics like acetaminophen or Ibuprofen can he useful but will not be sufficient. She would need more potent analgesia like with tramadol, or nerve pain suppressants like carbamezapine or gabapentin etc.

A pain medicine specialist can be appoached for other long lasting options like nerve blocks etc which can suppress the sensations from the affected nerve ends only sparring the others and can be best with her condition.

Wishing her a better recovery. Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sports Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor