Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

How can i grow a mustache and a beard ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
how can i grow a mustache and a bear ??

Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Radhika 38 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Normally by the age of 15 to 18 years boys start having facial hair.
The treatment for growing a moustache and a beard would depend on the identified cause. There can be several causes for a lack of facial hair, the most important being delayed puberty.
However, a diagnosis of delayed puberty can be made if there are no signs of sexual maturation. These would include no testicular enlargement even after the age of 14 years and no growth of pubic hair after the age of 15 years.
The most common cause of delayed puberty is a constitutional delay in attaining puberty. This would be confirmed if you father, uncle or cousins has similar symptoms at your age. If this is the case, it is only a matter of time before you attain puberty. No specific treatment is required for this.
Other causes include chromosomal abnormalities, hormonal issues, chronic diseases, neurological issues amongst others.
As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient better, I would request you to answer the following questions:
a.     Do you have a typical male pattern of pubic hair which has grown after you were 11-12 years old?
b.     Have you noticed an increase in the size of the testis after you were 12-13 years old?
I would suggest that you get yourself evaluated by your general physician who will be able to perform a detailed evaluation and get certain investigations like levels of luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone (LH/FSH), TSH(serum thyroid stimulating hormone),thyronine levels, free thyroxine levels amongst others.
Awaiting your reply
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor