How can arthritis and swelling in the right knee and leg be treated?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am in a lot of pain right now.if you recall, I have arthritis, disc problems and my right knee and leg re swollen and painful.I At the moment My lower back-perhaps sciatic nerve- hurts a lot . What can I do? I've just spent a week + in the hospital after my last fall, but all the tests were negative and they will treat me as an outpatient for Physical therapy.
Answered by Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow physical therapy and take paracetamol for pain

Detailed Answer:
Dear ma'am,
I remember you very well. You have a very wide combination of conditions, and these all aggravate your well-being.
The fact that you stayed in the hospital for so long, and that you fell some weeks ago, may have exacerbated your arthritis and your sciatic nerve problem. I have already written you to stop taking advil and other NSAIDs, because they hurt your stomach.
So now, the only treatment is physical therapy, and adjusting your weight to fit the healthy BMI. Please, do not underestimate this important part of your treatment!
I would also recommend to visit a rheumatologist and to see your arthritis. It may need specific treatment. New biological drugs are now on the market, and they are working miracles on rheumatic patients.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health!
Manoku Eni M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T