Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

How can I become pregnant after having a history of Fibroid and endometriosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infertility Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 673 Questions
I am 45 years old, and I wanted to know after having surgery, my period came back finally, but only spotting about there days and then it stop what does that mean? I am trying to get pregnant. I never got pregnant. I have a history of Fibroid and endometriosis. I am really desperate to have a baby. Is there hope? What can I do to help myself to become pregnant?
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need active treatment for conception. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX Ovarian reserve (capacity to make quality eggs) declines in women after the age of 40-42 years. At the age of 45 years few follicles are left in ovaries that can give good quality eggs. Over & above that, you had endometriosis which further reduces quality of eggs. The best treatment at the age of 45 for conception is through IVF/ICSI. You need evaluation of ovarian reserve through a blood test - AMH, & one ultrasound on day 2 of menses to measure AFC (small quiescent follicles at the start of menstrual period). If both are fine, you can go for IVF with own eggs. If not, your doctor will suggest otherwise. Regarding reduced blood flow after surgery; it can happen if endometrium was disturbed during surgery. Intensity of disturbance can be measured by doing one ultrasound to know endometrial thickness on 13th/14th day of menses (The day periods start is considered as 1st day). Hope you find this helpful. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regard.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can I become pregnant after having a history of Fibroid and endometriosis? 21 minutes later
Have you ever had a case just like mine, where the patient became pregnant. I cannot afford IVF is there another way to get pregnant without spending a lot of money? Is there any medications where they can make me produce eggs?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Pregnancy is rare. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Pregnancy in such a scenario is very rare. I have seen only one such case. Even if pregnancy occurs, there is high risk that baby may have Down's syndrome. Regarding medication; you can take Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) 25mg tablets if available OTC/through prescription. Its the only known medicine to maintain ovarian reserve & egg quality. If you can't get a prescription, you can take nutritional supplements containing the same substance. Regarding adverse effects, it has minimal adverse effects, the only noticeable being pimples & oily skin. But I repeat IVF/ICSI is the best option for conception in the present scenario. Hope this helps you. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can I become pregnant after having a history of Fibroid and endometriosis? 1 hour later
Through the help of God my baby will be normal, and maybe a genus. If you say if someone with the age of 40-45 is in high risk of their baby being Down's syndrome then why would you recommend IVF/ICSI? Also this medication that is called (DHEA) will that be in prenatal vitamins?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 13 hours later
Brief Answer: IVF/ICSI: Better chance of pregnancy. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. I had recommended ICSI for better chance of pregnancy (compared to natural try). Also during ICSI embryos can be selected by preimplantation genetic diagnosis to avoid Down's syndrome. Second contention to advise ovarian reserve test was, if its too low, you can go for ICSI with donor eggs which will also give better chance of pregnancy & avoid Down's baby. But let's forget that as you are not going for it right now. Regarding second query, normally prenatal supplements don't contain DHEA. You can find DHEA containing supplements online & order the one you find suitable. I repeat its the only known medicine to maintain ovarian reserve & egg quality. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor