How accurate is the HIV RNA test 12 days post exposure?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had unprotected sex 17 days ago. I took a HIV RNA PCR test to check for the virus in my blood not for antibodies at 12 days after the unprotected sex. I had a low grade fever 99.5 that started 2 days after possible exposure but ended 7 days after exposure. I still have a feeling of very mild sorriness in my neck in the lymph node area but they are not painful, or swollen, or red... and no fever since 7 days post exposure. My RNA PCR test was negative. Should I still be worried about this?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of HIV is almost nil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Welcome to health care magic. I have gone through the details and can make out your anxiety.

The chances of transmission of HIV by unprotected intercourse with a HIV positive person is 1/200 to 1/1000.It is minimal.She may be negative too.If she is negative there is no chance.

HIV RNA PCR is >99% sensitive after 10 days exposure. Usual tests detect only HIV-1.HIV -2 is very rare.The chances of HIV is almost nil.
You can go for HIV 1&2 RNA PCR now to be relieved of anxiety. Else go for antibodies tests after 3 months exposure to be relieved of anxiety.
The symptoms are non specific and can be due to respiratory contact with any person.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venereolgist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 53 minutes later
So the Hiv rna pcr test that I took at 12 days which came back negative is a very good test then? I have seen several people say that you need to wait 21 days. Thanks in advance for the clarification.
Brief Answer:
Yes.It is a sensitive test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
Yes it is a very sensitive and good test. If it is both for HIV 1&2 RNA PCR ,you can allay fears totally.
You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina