Home pregnancy test showed positive. When should I go for first ultrasound?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: From the home pregnancy test I found my wife is pregnant. Her LMP was on 10/12/2012 (10th Decemeber, 2012). when should be the first scan taken?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 58 minutes later
Hello

Normally, the first antenatal visit, is advised in the first trimester of pregnancy - that is , in the first 12 weeks.

Based on the LMP, your wife would be around 8 weeks pregnant on the 5th of February. That is when you can safely proceed for the first ultrasound scan. By 8 weeks, normally, the complete embryo alongwith the heartbeat is visualized on ultrasound.

In case there are any risk factors - such as advanced maternal age, increased maternal weight, history of infertility, history of diseases like tuberculosis, hypertension, diabetes, anemia, previous bad obstetric outcomes , chronic diseases running in the family, ominous signs such as lower abdominal pain, cramping, spotting or excessive vaginal discharge - then the first scan can be done earlier, that is, as early as 6 weeks, which would be anytime in the coming week.

For the first antenatal visit, consult a good obstetrician, have a transvaginal scan, and go for the routine work up advised - complete blood count, complete urine analysis, blood grouping and Rhesus factor, blood glucose levels, thyroid screening, thalessemia screening, viral markers, screening for any vaginal infections, bloodpressure and BMI calculations, complete examination of all bodily systems etc.

Take care and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

All the best and enjoy the pregnancy !!
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX this really helps.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 minutes later
Am pleased to be of assistance anytime !