Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Heel bone fractured, fibula cracked. Should I get the cast re-fixed?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
Hi On XXXXXXX 10th I slipped down 4-5 steps in my home and went to the ER and discovered that my heel bone is fractured and my fibula is also cracked, but they assured me that no surgery was required, now when I went for my follow-up app't they said 3 more weeks and not to put weight on the foot, they didn;t change my cast and my cast is like swimming on my leg since my swollening has gone down, should I go back to the er and see if they replace my current cast to a more fitting cast or just wait for my next app't in July.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

Thanks for your query.

You are right in thinking that you may need a new cast.

Specially in fractures of weight bearing structures the cast should not be ill-fitting.Ill fitting casts can lead to malunion in the such fractures.

Well , all fractures of the ankle do not need surgery, some are easily treated with immobilization.

Do attend the ER back and get the cast replaced.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Heel bone fractured, fibula cracked. Should I get the cast re-fixed? 32 hours later
Thank you for your responses, I will definely go to the ER and have it change. I hope they comply, Would it be wise to go to another hospital (one I'm more familiar with ) I have never been to this hospital, would my familiar hospital be willing to check what the other hospital did. Well Thank you you been exteremly helpful.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, you can visit another hospital for the same , provided if you have xray or other related reports with you.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor