Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Having trouble with fluid around eyes and fluid comes out constantly. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1773 Questions
I havee been having trouble with fluid around my eyes and my right eye runs constantly. What kind of Doctor do I need to see and do can you tell me what might cause this.

Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 minutes later

You had not mentioned the duration of the problem.

Do you have dark circles too?
Do you have running nose?
Do you work infront of computer for longer hours >8 hours a day?
Do you notice such swelling around eye frequently?

With the information given the immediate suspicion is an allergic reaction. You can put ice pack or ice wrapped in a cloth on the eyes for 5 minutes three times a day. This will help cosmetic improvement. Did you try with an over the counter anti allergic like Claritin? If not you can try for three days, twice a day after meal.

If you do not wish try at home, you can first see a local primary care doctor/ GP. If not helpful after two visits you can visit a Eye specialist as well.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having trouble with fluid around eyes and fluid comes out constantly. Suggest? 5 minutes later
I do have dark circles.
I do have swelling frequently
I do work in front of a computer daily.
Ive used claritin, benedryl, zyrtec daily

I do use the warm clothes. I dont know what else to do. It is very irritating and embarassing at the same time.

Your saying to see a regular doctor first?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 14 minutes later
The assumption is changed now.

You should see an Ophthalmologist. I am not sure if you need a referral from GP first. You can call the Ophthalmologist office and enquire if they see only referral cases.

They need to examine the muscles around the eye. Opthalmologist will test for infection, cellulitis and hidden cysts as well. Also need to check vision, thyroid disorder, anemia, kidney function, Xray of the orbit as well. Please note that this can be treated if you follow up regularly with the doctor. First visit may not be fruitful all the time.

Let me help you with more ideas after you first visit to the doctor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor