Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Having stinging/burning sensation in lower abdomen after anal sex. Having painful vaginal penetration also. Suggestions?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
Hello- about 2 weeks ago I had anal sex with my fiance for the first time. Leading up to it i had a light diet, used an enema a couple hours before, and took a motrin to help with any inflammation. We used non-latex condoms and glyceryn free lube. During it wasn't too bad, he was gentle, didn't go too fast, and after awhile we finished by other means. However, ever since I've had an off and on stinging/burning sensation in my lower abdomen. We havent tried it again, but vaginal penetration hurts as well too- I don't feel like he can go as deep as usual without a sharp pain shooting up my stomach. There was no bleeding, nausea, I'm not constipated (although it does hurt when I have a bm, sneeze, ect) so I have no idea what's causing this. Its been over 2 weeks and I just want to feel normal again. Help!
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 minutes later
The anal sex has caused some inflammation and possibly minor erosions on the XXXXXXX pelic floor and recto vaginal septum. This is the thin membrane that separates the rectum from the vagina. Due to the inflammed area and erosions the deep penetrative sex is painful.There is nothing much to do about this but to let it heal on its own. Its too deep for your to apply anything. What you can do is avoid sexual contact for a few days until the healing process ends. And you can use lots of lubrication to keep the rectal area soft and not allow it to get dry.You need to keep your stool soft so u you can use a stool softner for a few days. It doesnt mean you are constipated,instead it just allows the stool to become soft during passage so that its hurts less. Another thing you can do use still in a tub of warm water several times a day. It will help reduce the inflammation.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Having stinging/burning sensation in lower abdomen after anal sex. Having painful vaginal penetration also. Suggestions? 26 hours later
Thank you very very much! Out of curiosity will this be something that will happen every time we try it in the future? Is it because of the way I'm shaped (i do have a tilted/inverted uterus)? Will changing positions help have less inflammation after? Or using more lube? This time he wasn't gong too fast/wasn't fully erect because he was very nervous about hurting me. Is there something else I could of done to prevent this? Maybe using a mineral oil enema as opposed to saline, once in 24 hours as opposed to twice, etc. How should I keep that area moist to promote healing? Neosporin locally or using gloves to soothe the area deeper inside? I work 10 hours a day so the bath tip is kind of difficult to work into my routine. Would one long soothing soak a night do the trick? Should I put anything in the water? Is there anything I should eat or not eat (ibuprofen, yogurt, or XXXXXXX cider vinegar/mostly liquids to promote healing and ease inflammation. I apologize for all the questions, the wedding is coming up and I don't want to be in pain on my wedding night!
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 minutes later

Firstly your shape isn't the problem.

Use more lubricant before and after. You just need to make the access as smooth as possible. Using can enema once is enough but it does tend to make the area dry. So see lubricant or coconut oil. The insertion caused the un-natural stretching of the muscles hence the pain. It will get easier with time.

NO FOOD etc will help but if you are in pain then of course you can take anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen. Do the bath tip at least once is day. Don't use any powders in the area or inside. Just lubricant or an antibiotics cream need to be applied.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor