Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Having irregular periods, anxiety and nervous. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 4047 Questions
My monthly period has been coming 2 to 3 days earlier then it should, I normally am on anywhere from 21 to 25 days and know in the last 6 months it is coming anywhere from 18 to 21. My period is normal, nothing unusual, lasting 5 days still. Should I be concerned about this? I am 42 and since Feb. I have been having a lot of anxiety and being nervous a lot, don't know if that can have an effect on my hormones. Thanks.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 37 minutes later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX platform.

According to your clinical picture, it is mostly suggestive of polymenorrhea (period cycle less than 21 days) in medical term.

It occurs due to hormonal dysfunction prior to menopause or in peri-menopausal age group. Hyperstimulation of the ovary by pituitary hormones may be the responsible factor. In such cases, it will be normal thing.

Ovarian endometriosis and PID may cause the same thing. Though it is unlikely in your case as your period is normal.

Here, I like to prefer to consult with your gynecologist for XXXXXXX examination including pelvic and some relevant investigations like pelvic ultrasound, hormone assay etc to rule out underlying pathology to keep you in safe place.

You should avoid stress/ tension by regular yoga or breathing exercise, take healthy diet, do light exercise, maintain genital hygiene properly and take sound sleep for healthy lifestyle.

Hope, this will help you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

You can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

Wish your good health.

Dr Soumen
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor