Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Having heart palpitations that are common after alcohol consumption. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1306 Questions
I am presently having heart palpitations that are ranging from around 93 to 125 bpm. It is something I have suffered before and is most common following alcohol usage. (Which is a factor here)

Is there anything that I can do to cure these palpitations as they are awful to experience.

Thank you in advance.

Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 3 days later
Brief Answer:
please see details.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
1. You are right. Palpitations, increased in normal heart rate and abnormal rhythm disorders of heart are known to follow alcohol consumption.
2. The best way to avoid them is to stop taking alcohol. It is at times strongly indicated when patients develop XXXXXXX type of rhythm disorders following alcohol consumption.
3. In case you have any chest pain / heaviness or shortness of breath or vertigo or episode of loss of consciousness or a blackout, you must see your doctor on priority.
4. Otherwise you have to get an ECG done to determine the exact rhythm disorder. This is not visible in the "monitor shot" you uploaded. You have to visit ER (emergency room) for same. Most of the time "premature contractions or sinus tachycardia is responsible for palpitations". If it is so a simple drug (beta-blockers) will be able to take care for the palpitations. You will have to get prescription from your doctor. If you have premature contractions, it would be prudent to get a cardiac ultrasound (ECHO) too.
5. Relaxation techniques like deep breathing, lying straight on bed without any movement or meditation will also help in decreasing the heart rate. But they are not substitute of a medical consultation.
Hope this helps.
Please do write to us if there is anything else. Please also mention your age and other medical conditions in follow-up query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor