Having extreme weakness and constant pain in stomach due to GERD and hernia. What is the treatment?

Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha

Nephrologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have feelings of extreme weakness, hot forehead and sick stomach for a number of days now but usually doesn't last this long. I have GERD and have a hernia.
My blood work comes back OK. I do not have gastro. I have had problems losing weight as my body does not use insulin as it should and I am taking a drug for this purpose.

I do have constant ache pain in my stomach.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid disorder

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the query

It looks like you have two separate issues.

The first issue of extreme weakness, hot forehead and inability to lose weight points towards thyroid disorders. Please get your TSH, Free T4 and Free T3 levels checked.

The second issue is the GERD which causing you to have constant stomach aches. Here is what I suggest you should do

1. Pro kinetic drugs like Mosapride works very well and I have seen wonderful results. Please approach your physician for it
2. Anti gastric medications like Pantoprazole should be taken once daily before breakfast
3. Do not fall asleep atleast for 2 hours after dinner
4. Avoid consuming milk, milk products, caffeine and spicy food items
5. Avoid smoking and alcohol
6. For the pain of GERD please take Syp Mucaine gel 2 tsp twice daily.

Please approach a surgeon for the hernia, hernias are usually benign but it will require surgical correction if you experiencing severe pain.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 36 minutes later
I do take Nexium for GERD. I have had thyroid checked and all tests check back OK.

I do not smoke or drink. This last week, I had little to eat but no spicy good or milk products.

Still have stomach aches and weakness.

Any other suggestions, please?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vit D defeciency

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for the reply, I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call at my hospital.

First I would like to point out that having a normal TSH (which is the only test done for thyroid usually) does not mean you are free from a thyroid disorder. It is important that you get Free T 4 and Free T3 to be sure. If that is done as well then my second differential would be Vit D deficiency, it is known to cause extreme weakness and hot forehead in some people. Please get yourself tested for Vit D3 levels. I have seen very good results after correction of a low Vit D levels in my patients.

Neksium is a fantastic anti gastric medication but it does not do much for your reflux disease, you will also need a medication to take care of the reflux that is why I have suggested a prokinetic drug to you. Please approach your physician with my suggestion

I hope I was of help

I wish you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad