Have viral throat infection and slight fever. Diet to improve immunity?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Diet Plans
Question: I am having viral throat infection and slight fever due to this. Throat is very sore.
Also please suggest me diet to improve my immunity against viral throat infection.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Thanks for your query. I read your query and understand your concerns.

Viral fever subsides on its own and generally requires only supportive treatment. But secondary infections occur during viral fever which requires to be treated. Since you are running fever due to sore throat you need to start on paracetamol tablets along with a suitable antibiotic like azithromycin. Since I cannot prescribe medicines online according to rules of this forum, I suggest you to visit a physician to take prescription for above medicines.

Mean while continue supportive treatment like warm salt water gargling. Take adequate rest. You should be fine in another 3-4 days. Vitamin supplements such as vitamin C tablets can help improve your immunity. Generally, having a lot of fruits, vegetables and water should improve the immunity. Fruits like, oranges, peaches, apples, papaya and vegetables like carrots, tomato, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables etc. Avoid eating outside in unhygienic places.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 8 hours later
I have taken medicines as prescribedu by a Physician.
i would like to know if taking a food supplement like "Herbalife" is recommended for getting appropriate nutrition?
Also let me know is there any harm in drinking mineral water on daily basis
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later

There is no harm in taking herbalife; but it’s not necessary. Visit a dietician and get balanced diet chart. Fresh food is better than herbalife.

Mineral water drinking is not harmful but it may be an unnecessary expenditure. Have good filtered water at home.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 33 minutes later
Below are some of my blood reporttest indices that areu not inget normal rang:
haemoglobin is 10.3
HCT: 33.6
R.B.C: 4.55
MCV: 73.8
MCH: 22.6
MCHC: 30.7
What will you suggest to get these things normal
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later

Your values slightly deranged and it happens when you have infection.

Just one value does not need any active treatment since your main indicator hemoglobin is 10.3 and is normal for an Indian woman.

I advise you to stay relaxed and repeat these tests in another standard lab after two months. I am sure it will be fine.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E