Have small white dots on penis head with puss. Not sexually active. Any STD?

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Question: Hi, I have small white dots on my penis head. If I squeeze them, a small puss like substance comes out. Thy have been there for years and don't seem to be going away. They don't hurt at all and are hardly noticeable, but you can just feel them and see them. If I look closely it would seem some even have a small black head. I'm extremely clean person and they first came when I was about 14 to 15. I wasn't sexually active at he time.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 4 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

These white 'pin-head' sized dots on the glans (head) of the penis are called Pearly penile papules or Hirsuties coronae glandis. This is a a very common and harmless condition which is mostly seen in males in their twenties and thirties. The exact cause of this condition is not known but it is thought to occur due to blockage and enlargement of sebaceous gland present in the glans. These blocked, enlarged glands are filled up by creamy substance which is why you are able to squeeze out a whitish cheesy material. Pearly penile papules are also not a symptom of any sexually transmitted disease or any infection they are neither caused by non-hygienic attitude.

These papules usually slowly decrease with age and in some cases can subside on their own also. Treatment with topical applications or oral medications is largely ineffective. The only definitive cure for these papules is by surgical and ablative procedures:
- CO2 laser ablation
- Cryotherapy (with liquid nitrogen)
- Electrodessication with curettage
- Surgical removal

So, if these white dots are few and painless and not very obvious, then I would suggest that you ignore them. If they are quite obvious and concerning, then I would advise you to consult a surgeon for further treatment options. Don't attempt to squueze them because sometimes they can get infected and become painful.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar