What causes brownish black patches on the penis glans?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Men's Health
Question: I am 30 years old. I just had circumcision in August. From October I started developing brown/black patches on the penis glans. The patches are around the urethra starting from areas where the stitches are placed. I need some guidance as to why are they occurring. I am very worried.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is normal not to be worried for

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for query .

You have been circumcised in August and have noted brown patches on glans penis. .

Under normal circumstances Glans penis is covered with foreskin that keeps the Glans penis and part of penis moist .After Circumcision foreskin being excised Glans penis is exposed to atmosphere and abrasions due to cloths making it dry and hard and to develop brown patches over glans penis .This is called as Keratinization that makes Glans penis brown .It is natural phenomenon and not to be worried about it at all.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 6 hours later
Thank you for the reply. But I want my penis glans to be pink and normal. The brown patches began after i began to masturbate. Please confirm that you have seen the pictures (i can send them again). I want to know if this is reversable and what I need to do.

I also read somewhere that this is penile melanosis or post inflamation hyperpigmentation. Can you please explain why this is not the case?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have made comments after having look at photographs uploaded earlier.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up .

It is a natural process of Keratinzation of glans that follows after circumcision and that can not be avoided .It leads to loss of suppleness and change in color of glans from purple to slight brown gradually.to brown It can not be reversed.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 2 days later
Ok. Can you please tell me how I can improve the sensitivity of my exposed glans and reduce the harmful effects keratinzation. Is there a cream or lotion you would recommend?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Desensitization of glans can not be improved .

Detailed Answer:
hello
Thanks for follow up .

Keratinization of glans can not be prevented and same is true for desensitization of glans penis .Though it is less sensitive there is no harm in having sensation of sexual pleasure except the fact that intercourse is prolonged making your female partner happy to enjoy sex for longer duration and helps her to achieve orgasm which in normal case most of the time females are deprived of getting orgasm.

You can use some jelly to keep glans moist .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.