Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Have small lump on neck. Told to have reactive node. Chest X-ray and mammogram normal. Suggest?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
Hi my name I'd XXXXXXX .I was at my drs tonight as I have s small lump on my neck..she said it was a reactive node..I have had it nearly 2years and ad my FBC was normal nothing to worry she right. XXXXXXX
I have had a chest xray and mammogram in last year which were both fine ..I am waiting for an appointment with ENT for sinus problems so will discuss with him.
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 5 days later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

What is the size of that lymph node?

Is it increasing in size?

Is it fixed or movable?

Is there any lymph node in other regions like axilla and groin?

Is there any history of fever, weight loss, or contact with a tuberculous patient?

Lymph nodes usually enlarge as a inflammatory or infiltration response to an infections, tumors in its supplying area.

If its size is significant, increasing in size, fixed to underlying tissue, matted and not movable, or associated with similar nodes in other regions such as axilla and groin, or associated with symptoms, then fine needle aspiration or biopsy of this lymph node to be done for histopathological study.

Histopathological study will tell the nature and cause of lymph node enlargement.

Therefore consult the ENT specialist as per the scheduled appointment and discuss about it.

If it is small, not increasing in size, with no fixing , and not associated with other swellings or symptoms, nothing to worry as your doctor has examined and interpreted the reports.

But you can discuss about the lymph node with the ENT specialist to look for any significance and for any further investigations if required depending on his clinical findings.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know in the next query along with the details I have asked.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor