Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Have sclerosis of the liver. Developed painful skin growth on breast. Proper diagnosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Hi Dr. Christensen,
My question pertains to my brothers health situation that I've tried to help him with 24/7. He's been drinking since he was 16. Hard liquer for the last 20 at least. He is now 58. His Doctor said he has Scierosis of the liver and there's nothing they can do.
Last year he bled profusely from his Esophugus. Luckily they were able to cartarize it to stop the bleeding.
My question is. He has developed a painful med to large mass on the left breast that he says has grown in the last few months. Now he says it has also developed on the other side. Is there residual problems from drinking that would cause painful masses like this? I know the outlook isn't good but I would like to understand what were facing alittle more. He will not go to a doctor out of fear and complacency now. Feedback?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Your brother has something that is called gynecomastia. It is associated with liver cirrhosis. Such damaged liver can not metabolize estrogen which is the main reason of gynecomastia. Moreover alcohol can directly impede testosterone and estrogen balance so there is more estrogen than testosterone.
The only help he can get is to get scheduled for liver transplant. But he needs to stop drinking in case of being able to get new liver.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor