Have red and itchy skin. Not cured by cortisone cream. What medication should be done?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi , I thought I had jock itch, tried everything, went to a doctor, gave me daily med for yeast infection, seemed better , but wasn't. Just redness and pinkness, and very itchy , seemed to always have itch once in a while, but now it seems to be all the time. Tried cortisone cream, works a liitle. But always seems to itch, what else could I try?my forearms also itch, from time to time. Also went to dermatologist, thought it was contact dermatitis, hives when dust or nerves flare, could all this be from nerves
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later

If it is the groins involved more, then there are high possibilities of fungal infection. Some fungal infections can be resistant to regular medications used in yeast infection like Clotrimazole.

I suggest you to apply ZOLE-F which contains Miconazole and Fluocinolone an antifungal agent and a steroid respectively. The combination of both is much effective and cures the infection in a short period. Do apply the ointment twice daily after thoroughly washing and drying the affected area.

If itching is unbearable, you can take a dose of Benadryl at night. Scratching will cause spread of the infection hence avoiding it is advised.

I do not think it to be due to nerves or any pathology concerned to the nerves.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad