Have mild throat pain, cough and fever. Suggest some effective medicine

Dr. Sujoy Khan

Allergist and Immunologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

I had mild throat pain yesterday and that translated into fever by the evening. I took a crocin and slept, now I don't have fever, but my nose is dripping, I have some cough and I am sneezing a lot.

I usually have D-Cold Total or Cheston Cold in this situation, what would you prescribe?

regards
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 20 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thank you for writing to us at Healthcare Magic.

It seems you are having a viral infection with the usual symptoms of throat ache, rhinitis, cough and sneeze.
Paracetamol is the best (safest) agent for this type of infection, and you can add log-acting antihistamines like cetirizine 10mg (tablet taken maximum twice daily 12 hours apart) or levocetirizine 5mg along with the paracetamol. A short course of Otrivine nasal spray helps if there is significant nasal blockage or azelastine nasal spray if there is significant nasal itch or sneezing. However, usually these are not required (i.e., nasal sprays) for most viral infections.
Antibodies to viruses take 5-7 days to build up and people with normal immune systems thus feel better within a week without recourse to oral antibiotics.
If your chest hurts due to coughing, or you are bringing up yellowish/green phlegm while coughing, then you will need oral antibiotics.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Sujoy Khan 8 minutes later
So you are suggesting that I can have Crocin (twice) for Paracetamol and Cetrizine 10mg along with that?

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 8 minutes later
yes.

Crocin 500mg or 650mg Paracetamol plus cetirizine 10mg TWICE daily for 5 days.

Best Wishes.