Is Duonase nasal spray safe to be administrated on a child?

Posted on Mon, 15 May 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Can duonase be used by 7 year old for nose congestion.? Is it advisable in pediatric treatment?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, it is safe to use Duonase nasal spray in a 7 year old child.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. Yes, Duonase nasal spray can be used by a 7 year old child.

2. Duonase nasal spray contains fluticasone (a steroid) and azelastine (an anti-histamine). Both have been studied in children up to 4-5 years of age and proven safe for use.

3. If chronic nasal congestion is due to allergic rhinitis or adenoid enlargement, it should help in reducing the congestion. I assume that enlarged adenoids have been ruled out / evaluated.

4. Duonase nasal spray combined with an oral anti-hiistamine, anti-leukotriene and steam inhalation will give far better results than Duonase nasal spray used alone.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 hours later
Thanks sir will the child become habitual after using duonase spray for 3 months? Allegra suspension is also prescribed with duonase
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No habituation, taper over 3 months. Syp. Allegra is fine.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. No, there will not be any habituation to the nasal spray.

2. I recommend a tapering dose over three months.

3. Adding Syp. Allegra will help as explained before.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist