Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Have lymphedema after breast cancer treatment. Feeling pain in knee joint. How to get cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1663 Questions
I have primary lympheodema and secondary in one arm due to side effects of massage and stockings and diet.This has worked quite well
However in the past 8 weeks I have put on 12Kg. My doctor is not at all disturbed by this. It is making me cranky with pain and I feel like my knee joints are being crushed. I have just seen my MD and he said to wait and see how I go with getting my iron levels and my B12 levels back in line. My iron has been very low for about 6 months. I am a 65 y.o. woman.
Is my doctor right or could he be missing something ? This is a very unpleasant condition. I am forced to wear sneakers as the lacing helps to keep my feet from swelling and I can at least walk a little bit. In the heat of summer this is horrible. I have been taking Thyroxine 100micg. for about a year and I'm told my T4, T3 and TSH are ok. I feel like something is being overlooked....and no, I have not been overindulging over the festive season. :-)
I know this ranges over several specialist fields, but have decided to start with thyroid. Can you help me? I need my life back.
Posted Wed, 16 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 15 hours later
It is important to know the lab results for the following blood tests : TSH, free T4, total T4, total T3, T3 uptake, Thyroid peroxidase antibodies, anti Thyroglobulin antibodies. This will help us determine if A) you truly have an underactive thyroid or not and B) whether the dose of 100 mcg of thyroxine is appropriate or not.

The TSH target for most individuals with hypothyroidism is around 0.4 to 2.

Inadequately replaced thyroid hormone can cause various symptoms and signs.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor