Have lymphedema after breast cancer treatment. Feeling pain in knee joint. How to get cured?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have primary lympheodema and secondary in one arm due to side effects of massage and stockings and diet.This has worked quite well
However in the past 8 weeks I have put on 12Kg. My doctor is not at all disturbed by this. It is making me cranky with pain and I feel like my knee joints are being crushed. I have just seen my MD and he said to wait and see how I go with getting my iron levels and my B12 levels back in line. My iron has been very low for about 6 months. I am a 65 y.o. woman.
Is my doctor right or could he be missing something ? This is a very unpleasant condition. I am forced to wear sneakers as the lacing helps to keep my feet from swelling and I can at least walk a little bit. In the heat of summer this is horrible. I have been taking Thyroxine 100micg. for about a year and I'm told my T4, T3 and TSH are ok. I feel like something is being overlooked....and no, I have not been overindulging over the festive season. :-)
I know this ranges over several specialist fields, but have decided to start with thyroid. Can you help me? I need my life back.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 15 hours later
It is important to know the lab results for the following blood tests : TSH, free T4, total T4, total T3, T3 uptake, Thyroid peroxidase antibodies, anti Thyroglobulin antibodies. This will help us determine if A) you truly have an underactive thyroid or not and B) whether the dose of 100 mcg of thyroxine is appropriate or not.

The TSH target for most individuals with hypothyroidism is around 0.4 to 2.

Inadequately replaced thyroid hormone can cause various symptoms and signs.