Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Have lump in the crease of groin. Pus and bumps comes after popping. Not cured by antibiotic. Concerned

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14997 Questions
I have two lumps in the crease of my groin, connected, and each has a tiny hole at the top. I remember when I first got them, I did pop them and a tone of stuff came out, but since then have not been quite as bad. They drain a small bit on occasion, it seems as though there is some puss, but mostly blood, although the most that comes out at one time (while squeezing) is a couple drops altogether. I've noticed when I get hot and sweaty, they are worse and it does seem to help a bit to use a antibacterial soap. Antibiotics did not help. I've had this for at least two years. And I have no health insurance. What to do?
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Folliculitis is inflammation that involves the hair follicles, when it evolves to infection of the entire hair follicle it is called a furuncle which is commonly called a boil. If the infection spreads to involve a group of hair follicles it is called carbunculosis.
You may either have two separate furuncles or boils or they may be joined and XXXXXXX - carbuncles.
Both are caused by the same bacteria.Even though squeezing is the natural response and most persons would do this,it actually makes it worse and may be inhibiting healing.
Apply a warm moist compresss to encourage drainage- 3 to 4 times a day, in severe or large lesions drainage by a doctor may be required.
When they finally open and drain spontaneously still continue to apply the dressing however it is important to disgard with each use to prevent recontamination. In addition wash your hands thoroughly after touching them, again to prevent recontamination your self.
The use of antiseptic soaps help some persons.

If you do the above and the infection remains or worsens then you may need a swab and oral antibiotics, however in most cases the above is effective.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have lump in the crease of groin. Pus and bumps comes after popping. Not cured by antibiotic. Concerned 1 hour later
Ok, I think I was worried that it has been 2 years since I first got them. I have also read that it could be an infected sweat gland and that this is something completely different that will need to be surgically removed. Is this possible or is it still most likely the carbunculosis? It does feel like it could be XXXXXXX And by swab, do you mean a Doctor would actually swab some of what comes out to test it and see what the best medicine is to give me to help cure it? And once cured (if I can cure it), does it often come back?
I also have another question if you could possibly answer it. I used to weigh 190, after having 3 kids. I am 5'3" and am down to 154 after losing the weight in about the last 6 months. I've never had problems with my feet until about 6months ago (which made me think it was time to lose weight, because I thought my weight was what was causing the pain in my feet. The pain started out as sharp pains on the tops of my feet. That all went away, but about a month ago I started running, my feet started aching and I decided try some shoe inserts. That helped some. I started interval training a couple weeks ago going from 3 miles an hour for several minutes to between 6 and 7 miles an hour for a couple of minutes for a total of about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes and now my feet are hurting really really bad. But, this time it is the bottom of my feet. My heels and the top pad of my feet. And just yesterday it seems as though my 3 middle toes on my left foot are going slightly numb certain ways that I step. I went to Wal-Mart and did the Dr. Scholls foot test on the machine they have there and it said that I have low arches. I got the recommended inserts and it seems my feet hurt even worse using those expensive inserts and had to stop walking on the treadmill after just 20 minutes. Again, I don't have insurance and need any and all the help I can get with this. I have been doing so well with losing weight and am so close to being at my goal weight that I really can't afford to stop now. Thanks in advance!
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later
HI, Congrats on the weight loss, it is difficult to lose so much weight, you should be very proud of yourself

A swab would identify exactly which bacteria is causing the infection and which antibiotics it would best respond. You can consider this if using the compresses and the antiseptics is ineffective.

In terms of the foot pain, there are alot of causes such as:(1) gout which, however normally starts with pain in the big toe .It would be diagnosed with a blood test checking for elevated levels of uric acid, gout is common in persons who have issues with weight.In addition to medication treatment involves keeping hydrated, using cherry juice,ice packs, elevated feet.
(3)sprain- sometimes the underlying tissues can be temporarly inflammed and this can cause pain- this would respond to over the counter analgesics like ibuprofen or cataflam
(4)stress fracture- this , however, will present with tenderness to touch in a particular area of the foot (which you did not mention) and the skin is bruised.
(5)plantar fascitis-damage to the a band of tissue which is under the sole of the foot.Treatment would involve the use of the medication mentioned above, calf stretching exercises, rest of the feet
(6)metatarsalgia- buring or aching pain which is worse on movement.Treatment would involve - reducing activity for a while, trying to limit the pressure on the feet, use of ice packs for 10 to 30 mins, compression (compression can be halted after 48 hrs), elevation of the feet.

Since it may be difficult to go to the doctor to find out the exact cause, you may consider :RICE- rest (you will need to stop exercising for at least a week), ice packs, compression bandage to feet,elevation and the use of NSAIDS- ibuprofen or cataflam

I hope this helps,feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
,   ,   ,  

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor