Does tart cherry juice help cure sciatica?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in General Health
Question: I am taking tart cherry juice for sciatica. Will it work?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not found in literature so efficacy is not sure- some patients say it helps

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Tart cherry juice is used by many patients to help with pain as it does have some effect in reducing inflammation. The medical effect and how effective it is, is still not well understood and more studies have to be made to really confirm its effectiveness.
Still some patients do say they find release especially when used for pain from inflammation like arthritis, gout, etc. I would say that it is something you can try for pain and inflammation and if it does not work for you than there are other options for treatment.

Taking tylenol might help in some patients but it does not have antiinflammatory effect so most patients do not find much relief with it. If you do not have problems with the stomach you can try ibuprofen after food together with tylenol to better control pain.

Having a check with a physiotherapist might be helpful so i would recommend you to see one and take exercises that will help your muscles relax (pain causes the muscles to have spams and make pain worse)

If you have weakness in your leg or numbness in the intimate area or difficulty controlling urine or bowel movement than you will need to talk again with your doctor.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to reply if anymore clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad