What causes pain in the upper thigh upon standing after Insulin injection administration?

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: After doing a routine insulin injection into my upper thigh I began to experience intense pain in my upper thigh This happens when ever I stand. Started 3 days ago.
What could this be?

Thank you

How long does this process take?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably lipodystrophy

Detailed Answer:
dear sir, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but this could be due to a number of causes. The most common of which is lipodyatrophy which is abnormal response of the fatty tissues to repeated injectios. in this case the painful area is hard or rubbery to touch but not warm or reddish in color .. This is a self limited condition and will resolve in a couple of weeks . To fasten the recovery you can apply warm compresses twice wily and apply voltaren gel for the pain. however, if the overlying skin is warm to touch and red in color then this could be a sign of an infectionor even an abcess formation which requires an antibiotic treatment and pus evacuation if pus accumulate.. I hope you find this helpful. if you don't have any other clarifications then please close the discussion.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 14 hours later
Went to a nurse practitioner today. She examined the area of the injection and thought she detected a hard spot at the injection. We discussed the possibility of gout. Although it has been a decade or more since my last attack, I believed it could be a possibility.
She gave me a corticosteroids shot( probenecid). It has not worked. I hav given myself very few shots in the thigh. Mostly abdomen or under the arm.
Urinating often but low weak volume.
Last night and day before, I had a lot of itching. Don't know why.
What are your thoughts?

Please see above messsage
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be gout

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir, the presence of a hard lump suggests that it is due to lipodyatrophy. Corticosteroid shot is unlikely to help that resolve unless it is injected inside the lesion then it might help.. Also gout will cause joint pain and crystal deposits.. It is so unlikely that gout causes a hard lump in the thigh.. lipodyatrophy is a self limited condition and usually requires no treatment .. it will take 2-4 weeks to regress and resolve. You should avoid injecting insulin shots in that place and try to always change the site of the shots.. I hope you find this helpful ..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng