Owl Image

Have low grade fever, white tongue and feeling nauseous. Any treatment?

Allergist and Immunologist
Question
My 16 year old daughter has a low grade fever and a white tongue she is also achy and nauseous
Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later

Your daughter's current complaints point to a viral infection. The white tongue can occur due to mild dehydration and secondly due to build up of oral bacteria. Certain other reasons for white tongue are oral thrush or secondary to smoking.

You should get this checked as a candida infection (thrush) may be likely for which antithrush agents with paracetamol will be helpful.
The aching joints do also point to a viral induced illness but this is best checked out by a doctor before getting any OTC preparations. Till then you can give her Tablet Tylenol 1 tablet as and when required ( dont repeat a dose before 6 hours have elapsed since the last dose)
Also, keep her hydrated by giving her lots of fluids.
Hope that helps
Thanks.