Owl Image

Ask a Urologist   »  

Have had endometriosis and hysterectomy. Noticed blood in urine. What are the complication?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2012
Sep 2012

Question
Hello I am 42 and I have had endrometrious and a hysterectomy last year. I still have one ovary. A few days ago I have blood in my urine. It is not on the toilet paper just in my urine. What might be causes this. Little cramping When I was 15 I had a Fribroid cysts on my ovaries. Over 7 pounds. Can you help me
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 24 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, the symptoms you told us indicates hematuria. Now, this condition is associated with many diseases. In our clinical experience, the most common causes of hematuria are –
1.     Infection of the lower urinary tract.
2.     Stone in the urinary tract.
3.     Trauma.
4.     And many conditions that involve the urinary tract.

To differentiate between these conditions a thorough clinical examination, routine urine examination, an ultrasound scan of whole abdomen is necessary.

But, from your symptoms, the most probable cause of this type of bleeding is either presence of urinary stone or infection in the urinary tract. But accurate diagnosis can be reached only after the urine test.

So, you have to consult with your family physician / nephrologist for a thorough clinical examination, ordering the necessary investigations and for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have had endometriosis and hysterectomy. Noticed blood in urine. What are the complication? 19 hours later
I also feel really bloated and am constipated. Almost like I have my period all over again with the cramping also. Can this happen with having a hystarectomy a year ago. Also with my endrometrious????

Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 5 hours later
Thank you for writing back.

You are right. It may occur due to endometriosis also.

But in that case, you will feel the symptoms every month in a particular time, as like your menstrual cycle. It may also occur in case of hysterectomy. Because it do not depends on uterus.

But, if you feel the symptoms occasionally, then it is not likely to be a case of endometriosis.

To rule out the doubts, you have to do the investigations as mentioned earlier and you also have to notice the time period of these symptoms to fit it in a monthly cycle.

So, follow the instruction as I mentioned earlier.

Regards.