Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

179 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have fibroid and prolapsed uterus. Should I go for surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Monika Choudhary


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 816 Questions

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have 4 fibroids they are Submucosal, Subserosal. Pendunculated. they are 4cm, 5cm and 3cm. I also have a prolapsed uterus, somewhere between first and second degree.
I have been told that surgery is an option. I am concerned about further prolapse once my uterus is gone.
1. Is it typical to have further prolapse in that case.
2. What can be done to avoid the further prolapse.
3. I hear there have been horrible side effects with the use of mesh, but mesh is still mentioned with this type of problem. Do you suggest the use of mesh?
4. Are bioidentical hormones better to use?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Prolapse is common at this age group along with fibroid uterus.
You should go for surgery means hysterectomy along with vaginal wall repair.
After surgery you would have to do pelvic floor exercise regularly under instruction of your physiotherapist.
I think this will be sufficient to prevent further prolapse.
Previously mesh were having serious side effects but now good quality mesh rarely cause any side effect.
You can use bioidentical hormone but surgery is much better treatment at this age group.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Monika Choudhary 5 hours later
after surgery, full hysterectomy, is it better to use bioidentical hormone cream than sythetic hormones by pill to reduce menopause symptoms?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Welcome back.
Bioidentical hormones are having same molecular structure as endogenous hormones.
However they are under trial for risk & benefits.
Conventional hormones are fully studied for their risk & benefits.
So most of the gynaecologist recommends conventional as compared to bioidentical one.
I hope your query has been answered.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Menopause

doctor1 MD

I have severe, constant itdhing of the skin. Have been unable to determine the cause. Nothing has been changed in diet, laundry detergents, etc. The itching seems worse during the night, causing night sweats, dampness of undershirt. Dermatologist has given me AMMONONIUM LACTATE CREAM, 12% to use twice daily and it seems to burn when applied.

doctor1 MD

I am getting numerous skin tags and within the last 4-5 days they are beginning to come up my neck. It is almost like a brown rash with noticeable skin tags in the area. I am 69 years old and also started having very bad hot flashes which I had not had in years. Can they be connected?

doctor1 MD

I've noticed irregular heartbeat or "flutters" for the last two months that subsided when I had a period only to "flare up" again almost to the day the next month. I'm 42, 5'2 and 119 lbs and they can't seem to give me an answer except to call it a "premature heartbeat". Could this be a symptom of perimenopause? Or could it be more serious and should I get a second opinion?

doctor1 MD

I am suffering from severe body itch ...small bumps, on both sides of my ring finger, back turns beet red after showers, entire body itch, other bumps occur - husband has rubbed Gold Bond Ultimate healing therapy -- very irritating and worse at night..may be going through menopause -- 55 year old female

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am 59 years old, still having vaginal bleeding and have had severe pain in my right breast for over a week. I don't have insurance so the thought of seeing a doctor or having test run is next to impossible. Is it anything to be worried about

doctor1 MD

I am 59, female, what can i do for vaginal dryness and odor?

doctor1 MD

I have recurring yeast infection. How do I know it's a yeast infection? I feel a need to go to the bathroom frequently. Sometime it burns. No didcharge and Monostat seems to take care of it but I don't like to take that frequently. it's probably...