Have fibroid and prolapsed uterus. Should I go for surgery?

Dr. Monika Choudhary

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have 4 fibroids they are Submucosal, Subserosal. Pendunculated. they are 4cm, 5cm and 3cm. I also have a prolapsed uterus, somewhere between first and second degree.
I have been told that surgery is an option. I am concerned about further prolapse once my uterus is gone.
1. Is it typical to have further prolapse in that case.
2. What can be done to avoid the further prolapse.
3. I hear there have been horrible side effects with the use of mesh, but mesh is still mentioned with this type of problem. Do you suggest the use of mesh?
4. Are bioidentical hormones better to use?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Prolapse is common at this age group along with fibroid uterus.
You should go for surgery means hysterectomy along with vaginal wall repair.
After surgery you would have to do pelvic floor exercise regularly under instruction of your physiotherapist.
I think this will be sufficient to prevent further prolapse.
Previously mesh were having serious side effects but now good quality mesh rarely cause any side effect.
You can use bioidentical hormone but surgery is much better treatment at this age group.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Monika Choudhary 5 hours later
after surgery, full hysterectomy, is it better to use bioidentical hormone cream than sythetic hormones by pill to reduce menopause symptoms?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Welcome back.
Bioidentical hormones are having same molecular structure as endogenous hormones.
However they are under trial for risk & benefits.
Conventional hormones are fully studied for their risk & benefits.
So most of the gynaecologist recommends conventional as compared to bioidentical one.
I hope your query has been answered.