Have fatty liver grade 1. Hepatitis tests negative. Cause for raised SGPT, SGOT and bilirubin level?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 30 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Dear doctor,
I am carrying a fatty liver grade 1 for over 10 years . I was taking alcohol every day (120 ml or so) for nearly 10 years but for past couple of years I was taking twice a week again 120 ml or so .however, for past 2 months , I have not touched liquor. I am 52 years old . I have always had raised SGPT ranging from 50 to 100 but whenever I took medicines , it used to get dropped from 100 to 50-60. But this time, even after taking medicines and not touching liquor, it has been rising in past 2 months and it has reached 200 from 62 in October SGOT too is raised to 83 from35 in October . Also, my sugar and blood pressure always remain a bit raised .
Increase in SGPT and SGOT has happened in past 2 months despite taking following. Medicines:
citapin 1000 mg for controlling sugar
Liv52 DS. Twice a day for liver
Urosken plus twice a day ( I took this medicine for 6-7 months and it brought down SGPT level from 100 To 62 in October but from November it started going up even after taking it . I took this medicine till november end.
AB FOL after lunch
StamlO D. For blood pressure for quite some time and is working well.
Doctor changed medicine on 2.12.2012 as SGPT and SGOT kept rising and prescribed following medicines when SGPT went up to 115 and SGot to 71
Liv52 DS twice
Bplex forte twice SILIBON 140 twice ( in place of urosken)
Pentocid 40 mg for acidity
Samlo d
SGPT kept rising and reached 168 when he added XXXXXXX 300 mg on 2 nd XXXXXXX 2013 but it did not help and it has gone up to 200 on 9.1 2013 .
Thereafter , Doctor got all possible blood tests, Cat scan of upper abdomen etc and ruled out any serious liver problem and prescribed following medicines
Liv 52 DS. Twice a day
Viboliv once a day
Bplex forte twice
Pentocid once
Stamlo d
Exercise
My bilirubin is around 70 although higher than past . All hepatitis tests are negative. I am advised to get SGPT test done after 10 days.
Please advise.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 59 minutes later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in

Let me give you basic understanding of liver disease

Once liver starts getting damaged it goes for healing by fibrosis known ass cirrhosis

Cirrhosis is an irreversible disease

The positive reports that you have seen in past were because the fibrosis was not established

It is good you have given up Alcohol consumption

This will help stabilize the damage

My advise :

1] Stop alcohol for ever
2] Continue taking the medicines mentioned as per you physicians advise
3] Do not take any medicine without consulting your physician
4] Take fat free diet
5] Get liver function repeated after 10 days and get back to me

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 4 hours later
Thank you doctor. How ass cirrhosis is different from cirrohsis which is irreversible ?
My appetite is good and I do not have any stomach pain etc . In fact, there is no problem whatsoever except slight acidity.
Except SGpt and SGOT reports,all lever related reports/ tests are normal and very latest
Does your observation and reply still remain same?
I am asking thisr as your reply seems to be worrying .
Please also give your opinion as to how viboliv with Liv52 DS is effective in cure ?

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 27 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in again

Though this may not be an established cirrhosis, the fate of parenchymal liver disease if not taken care is this

For me Bilirubin of 7 and SGPT of 115 is surely a concern

I would suggest you take care, it is not be scared of but again not to be neglected

Liv 52 etc are all liver tonics and their exact mode of action is not specific

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Sorry doctor to trouble you again ,
My current bilurubin is 0.7 and SGPT is 200 and not 7 and 115
Further, your valued opinion on effectiveness of viboliv will be appreciated
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi

Its ok you can call back anytime

I thought it was a typing mistake from your side as you have mentioned bilirubin as 70 but I am happy to know it is 0.7

SGPT @ 200 needs to be taken care off
Do get it repeated after 10 days and then get back to me

Viboliv , Metadoxine is known to accelerate alcohol elimination and arrest the progress of liver deterioration, but should be taken under strict medical supervision

Hope this clears your doubts
Wishing you a healthy life ahead