Can blood tests be conducted after discontinuation of Echinacea and Zinc tablets?

Question
Hey doctor,

My gp recently ordered some blood test for me for malabsorption gut issues and pain in my stomach after eating. The tests includes B12, plasma zinc, tTG, se copper, Fe studies, Vitiam D, coeliac genetic test and fasting homocysteine. I haven't had a chance to do the tests yet but I had a cold over the weekend and I took those Echinacea, garlic, zinc and vitiam c combo tablets for about 3 days as I find they help when I get colds but my question is since I only stopped taking those on Sunday how long should I wait to do those blood tests if I want the most accurate result? One of the tests I noticed was plasma zinc so would that be affected by the supplements how long should I wait just to be safe?

I took an image of the supplements ingredients too.
Mon, 14 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
if contain biotin, may have an effect

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

According to research, the half life of zinc is very very long approx 9 mths. The half life is the time it takes the amount of substance to decrease by half in the body.

This means that the levels of zinc do not alter rapidly so its level would not be affected by your short term use of the zinc supplement to help with your cold.

The other tests would not be not be affected.
If the supplement contains biotin, it is possible that this may have an effect because this distorts some lab tests,this should be checked. If this was not present, then you can have your tests done at any time

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Can blood tests be conducted after discontinuation of Echinacea and Zinc tablets? 3 days later
One other question that I had can over masturbating cause low levels of zinc or iron?

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
not a known side effect

Detailed Answer:
HI

No this is not a known complication