Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Have discomfort in chest after having a certain food. What are the symptoms of cancer in gastrointestinal area?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Oncologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 576 Questions
What are the best tests to check if a person has cancer in the gastrointestinal area.What are the common symptoms?
I have discomfort in my chest area after having a certain type of food e.g tomato based food,papaya.slight pain and can feel the lumps of food in my chest,need plenty of water to make the foods go down my chest.Sometimes I feel discomfort in my chest.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Colon Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 4 hours later
Dear Ma'am,

Sorry to hear about your problem. By the description of your symptoms it seems as if you have a problem in the food pipe or the esophagus. Patients with problems in the esophagus present with difficulty in swallowing and require large quantities of water to swallow the food. It can be associated with chest pain as well.
This can either be due to a tumor (mass) in the esophagus or due to a motility disorder. The best way to rule out either of them is to get an upper GI endoscopy. This would reveal the exact cause of the problem and the treatment would be given accordingly. These symptoms can also be explained due to chronic reflux.
Another possibility is the present of fungal infection (candidiasis) of the esophagus. This can occur in patients using steroid sprays (like qvar). It is advisable that you rinse your mouth thoroughly 5 minutes after using this spray.
If there is a problem in the endoscopy, then a CT scan of the abdomen can also be done.
You should review with a surgeon as soon as possible and schedule a date for the endoscopy.

Hoping for the best. Please feel free to clarify any other query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor