Have clear discharge. Could this be STD?

Dr. Rogers Nditanchou

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello, so for some reason I have a small clear discharge (very small) but I don't believe it's an Std. I've only had Sex with my gf who got tested and came back negative for stds so I'm confused now..
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Be calm, observe and report any pain

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

There are moments its important to distinguish between a discharge that is pathologic or a disease , and a normal discharge, especially when the quantity is small. A clear discharge, that is not drawing, that is odorless and not accompanied by any pain on urination is very unlikely to be associated to disease. In case you have not had any risky sexual behavior, having an STI is also very unlikely. Absence of these symptoms should make you to feel good, no worries.
Considering the fact that she tested negative for STI s should be comforting.
I do think you are simply being over worried. My suggestion is that you observe again for a few days for the quantity, aspect, color and any accompanied pain on urination or not. In case anything unusual phenomenon is noticed, or discharge continues, you shall have to XXXXXXX your primary care doctor for a collection of the discharge sample, examination, culture and antibiotic sensitivity tests, to determine the causative organism and possible drug that could be sensitive against this organism.

For now, I suggest being calm, drink so much water and fluids and observant. It might be important to practice purely protected sex for a couple of days. In case of any unusual thing, consult your doctor. Thanks and kind regards. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers

However, it might be difficult to be sure if the partner has not had a risky behavior too.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T