Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Have carpal tunnel syndrome. Started having wrist pain. What is the reason?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Geriatrics Specialist
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 384 Questions
carpal tunnel syndromethe top of my left wrist ia extreme pain. and a few weeks ago my pinky and ring finger tetracted and locked up for several minutes. do I have carpal tunnel syndrome
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing to us,
There are lot of causes of pain on wrist.
It is not carpal tunnel syndrome is due to the entrapment of median nerve(one of three nerves supplying the hand) which involves the thumb side, but you have locked up effect on pinky (little finger) and ring finger, which are supplied by ulnar nerve( other nerve supplying the hand).

In order to know the exact cause of pain do an
1 Electromyography to rule out muscle pathology,
2 Nerve conduction velocity to rule out nerve weakness
3 X XXXXXXX wrist to look for bony abnormalities.
If your symptoms are worsening ,get an orthopedic opinion and get treated.
Let me know if you have further questions,
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Have carpal tunnel syndrome. Started having wrist pain. What is the reason? 2 hours later
The 2 fingers locked up a couple weeks ago now I'm experiencing numbness from the fingers to the elbow I can move only my thumb and pinky without pain the top of the rest is very painful when I bend my fingers the pain is very severe. I cannot unbutton my pants. This happen last night while I was sleeping. What can I do for the pain. Can you prescribe an anti inflammatory
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 19 hours later
Hi there,

I understand the amount of pain you are under with your reply. However the most effective antiinflammatory analgesic drugs are prescription only medications and you will need to see your primary care physicians to get them prescribed.

In the meanwhile, you can try topical antiinflammatory agents such as diclofenac based gels twice daily. Motrin which are available over the counter can be taken twice a day after food.

I urge you to visit your primary care physician if the pain is not tolerable despite the over the counter drugs.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor